If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Center stand mounts

Bikesmith01

Center stand mounts

Post by Bikesmith01 »

Hi Guys!
In preparation for painting on my R60 rebuild I'm dealing with all my welding and dent repair issues right now.

Today I'm looking at the center stand mounts on the frame. My center stand didn't operate smoothly. It took a little toe nudge to help the springs lift it into retracted position. I figured that would be from the holes on the mounts being chewed out a little. And they are. I'm going to weld them closed a little and redrill/refinish to get them perfect.

BUT... I also noticed just now that the mounts aren't parallel. They're both angled in toward the front. About 7 degrees each. They're exactly aligned with the frame tubes, which are not parallel at that point. One of the mounts has clearly been repaired in the past. Whoever did it sure didn't know how to weld very well (I'll be redoing that), but they at least lined up the broken part back to where it had been. Neither seems to be bent. Bottom line, It looks to me like they're supposed to be like that.

But that seems wrong. I just don't see how the stand could have a smooth action like that. Tightening up the mounting bolts is just going to seize the whole thing again. I'm tempted to straighten them as long as I'm working on them.

Any of you know what's going on here? Are they, in fact supposed to be like that? Is there some reason for it? I don't claim to be an engineering genius, but it sure seems to me that on a rigid structure with two pivots, those pivots need to rotate around a common axis. I've been trying to think of what reason there might be to have them not aligned with each other, but I'm drawing a blank.

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
-Jon
Jon the Bikesmith
1959 BMW R60
1940 Royal Enfield WD-C/O
1942 Chevy 3/4-ton special Flatbed
1985 BMW K100RS

schrader7032

Re: Center stand mounts

Post by schrader7032 »

I can't quite tell with the stand in the bike, but I don't see any clear angles involved. Seems to me that those frame brackets need to be oriented to fit the line of the bolts coming through the stand. It does seem like that the bracket holes and stand holes should all be co-linear.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Bikesmith01

Post by Bikesmith01 »

Thanks for taking a look! I appreciate it.

The angle isn't huge, but it's big enough to see naked eye. I think if yours had the same angle you'd be able to spot it, even with everything assembled
Jon the Bikesmith
1959 BMW R60
1985 BMW K100RS

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

one of my mounts was broken and center stand was missing when i acquired my bike.

Bought new ones from Salis and they were welded on for me(my welding sucks).
120928194_10157192214577693_9212722430578455690_o.jpg
-3292342069689479340.jpg
121116307_10157192217832693_5726000850450157755_o.jpg

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

My '59 R50 centerstand mounts were not anywhere near parallel either. And they were original as far as I could tell. I had to fix and re-use the original stand, as a reproduction I bought did not fit at all. Thinking BMW wasn't too particular when they welded these on at the factory. On the other hand, the mounts on my '55 R69 are about perfect.

Dave
Dave

Bikesmith01

Post by Bikesmith01 »

Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. Gossamer, thanks for the photos. It sure looks like they confirm what I suspected, that the mounting points are parallel to the centerline of the bike rather than parallel to the tubes to which they are mounted.

Anyway, I decided to modify my mounts to what seems correct to me. A test fit of the stand shows it working exactly how I want. A very smooth action. With the springs mounted the stand snaps into each position with some oomph, rather than needing help to move through the sticky spots.

So, bottom line, I'm still not 100% sure how it's "supposed" to be, but I'm happy with how my bike is :D

-Jon
Jon the Bikesmith
1959 BMW R60
1985 BMW K100RS

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Check that the center stand (foot graver?) the metal "U"shape tube that runs under the muffler wont touch if you misalign the center stand.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD