If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

generator rotor bolt

dellatorre6708

generator rotor bolt

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Here's a new one for you. I'm tearing down a motor to check slingers. Started to loosen the gen rotor bolt and snap. Broke about an inch down leaving the remainder of the bolt in the crank. It snapped past the threads of the rotor. Can I use a hardened bolt to extract the rotor? If not any suggestions on how to remove it will be appreciated.
Thanks. Frank.
NYC.
Frank,
NYC

jwonder

Re: generator rotor bolt

Post by jwonder »

Frank,

That is a bit scary! So, if I am reading this correctly the bolt broke in the middle of two threads. i.e. between the crank and the generator in the open space between the two. If it is flush with the crank a hardened bolt could pull it off, but it will be quite possible that it will bend which is bad too.

I had a tool I had purchased years ago bend inside the same place and I could not get the tool out. It was obviously not hardened correctly. What I needed to do, sadly, was cut the front of the generator off (where the threads are) and remove the tool. Once I had that removed I welded the threads back on to the generator nose and used a new tool to extract the generator. It was not fun but it worked and I am not saying I did this in the best way. Some smart person here may have a different way to do it.

Your issue is that even after you get the front of the generator sawed off, how do you extract the bolt from the front of the crank down in the hole. It may be hard to do so.

I would wait to see what others answer here before you do anything.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

I've been wrenching / 2' s since 1976 and this is the first time I've run across this issue. I'm may thread a bolt in and use a large slide hammer.
Frank,
NYC

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Please let us know how it goes in case it happens to someone else. I tried heat and a slide hammer on mine and it was not budging. I was hesitant to hit it too hard with the slide hammer as well.

Again, please let us know how you solve it.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

James,
You were correct. I tried a hard 8.8 bolt, slap hammer, heat, Kroil, no luck. Had to cut the armature off. Found a ring of rust and pitting was holding the unit on. I was able to use light emery cloth to remove the rust. The rest of the motor is clean and looks new. Frank.
NYC.
Frank,
NYC