If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R51/3 one carb will not idle down

jeffrey

Re: R51/3 one carb will not idle down

Post by jeffrey »

MikeL46 wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:07 am
I would try swapping the carbs or just the carb tops to see if the problem follows either one.
Agree. I swapped carb tops when my right carb slide started sticking. The right hand slide got stuck in the left carb barrel as well so I drew a horizontal line with a marker on the right slide and put it back in the right barrel to see where it was hanging up. 600 sandpaper did the trick.

malmac

Post by malmac »

Jim D 5112 wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:08 pm
I would consider just removing the throttle cable from the side that won't idle down after it is warmed up. Then just see if it will idle down. That will eliminate the whole cable thing. Then you will know if it is the carb intake area. You could even make a short cable with a loop on it to throttle the carb right their by it.
I agree with this comment. A broken strand on the inner cable can cause all sorts of problems that at first are hard to nail down.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

jimstravlin

Post by jimstravlin »

Thanks all for your help. Nothing really worked till i pulled the insert 13110039128 Insert Bing 25-050-5 (Nr. 5)
out and it came out in 4 pieces. Serious air leaks around the needle jet where it screws into the Bing insert piece. As long as the piece was screwed into the carb body all appeared to be fine. I appreciate all your input.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Wow, I was following this thread and I never would have expected that! Interesting, and thank you for sharing!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York