If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Standard headlight bulb vs LED bulb..

skyler.robbins

Standard headlight bulb vs LED bulb..

Post by skyler.robbins »

What's your experiences?
I've got the standard bulb in my BMW.
I've had LED headlight bulbs before in other bike, but they just didn't seem to project the beam out far.. kinda like bright up close, but the beam didn't really hit the road 20' out or so when you really need it.
Maybe they've changed over the years..
If you are running and LED, any recommendations?

schrader7032

Re: Standard headlight bulb vs LED bulb..

Post by schrader7032 »

I seem to recall that the LED bulb and the reflector/lens don't match up well. Unless they now make an LED array that better mimics the light pattern put out by a regular bulb.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

Thanks Kurt!

palica

Post by palica »

I have a LED bulb in the original (rusted) optic on my R50/2. Don't expect miracles if you expect to better see the road: it will not work. I think the best is to take a /5 optic and put an H4 in it and then, you have a "modern" front light system.
But if your goal is to be more visible, do not hesitate. It will give a break to the dynamo and make you much more visible. So a great improvement.
If you really want to drive at night, one of the simplest/cheapest solution is probably to take LED lights for bicycles. Those work from their own lithium battery, can be mounted and removed in seconds (usually with a rubber strap), are very powerful and efficient, and will last several hours. I have 2 sets for my bicycles. Last but not least, it does not need any modification to your motorbike.
1967 R50/2 with Duna sidecar
1974 R90S