If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Ignition light remaining on

Christopher

Ignition light remaining on

Post by Christopher »

Greetings,

I own a 1964 R27 that is mostly original with about 11,000 miles. I have been having an intermittent and now persistent problem with the red ignition light remaining on.

I thought the issue had been corrected when I adjusted the contact arm in the ignition switch when squeezing it closer to the switch plate. Indeed after doing this the red light went off after starting.

Recently however while riding at about 45 mph the ignition light came on. After a couple days sitting, and making sure the battery was fully charged, the ignition light remains on upon putting the key in, starting the engine, and riding at speed.

The generator springs, brushes and voltage regulator were recently replaced. Still the ignition light remains on.

If anyone has had a similar experience, or has thoughts on this issue kindly advise.

Thank you,
Christopher

schrader7032

Re: Ignition light remaining on

Post by schrader7032 »

How old is the battery? Maybe it's time to have it load tested. Have you measured the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine RPM at an elevated point, say simulating 40 mph? You should be somewhere around 7v.

When you replaced the generator springs, brushes and voltage regulator, did the problem go away or did it continue?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Thank you for your reply.

The battery is about 14 months old, has had very little use since new. I use a trickle charger and the battery seems to hold a good charge for about two weeks or so. Have not measured the battery terminals with the engine RPM at an elevated point.

The red light coming on ceased briefly after replacing the springs, brushes and voltage regulator. Being an intermittent issue in the past makes me think if replacement of these parts is not getting to the heart of the matter.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, a sitting battery doesn't necessarily mean that it is good. I've had very few battery failures, but on my /7, the last battery I got was bad within 3-4 months...I returned it for a new one and that's been good ever since. Be interesting to hear what the voltage is at the battery.

BTW...what type of battery do you have in the bike?
Kurt in S.A.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

The battery is a Yuasa 6N11A-1B (6v). The water level was showing a little low...so now it is topped up and on the charger.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

That sounds like a reasonable battery. I think I had a battery like that in my R25/2 but my bike vibrates enough that it was shaking the water out of the caps. I have since gone to a sealed 6v Duracell. I have a funky hold-down setup but it seems to work.
Kurt in S.A.