If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Old Dirty R69 - From Basket to Bike

malmac

You will know your bike inside out - eventually

Post by malmac »

You have taken on a huge project but a worthwhile one.

Interesting to see the pics and hear how the project is unfolding.

The R69 stamped on the flywheel is an interesting find.

Keep up the great work.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

goaarongo

You got the silver...

Post by goaarongo »

Thanks for the responses.
Mal - glad to see you around - reading some of your threads are what made me want to post here.
Schrader - I'm not sure the messaging feature on the site is working. I guess I could just post my VIN here. Frame# 653025.

And now a little about the things I'm NOT gonna do.  For the near future at least, I'm not going to paint it.  This is one of the best ways I can attempt to control my budget even slightly.  And to be honest - I kinda dig how it looks.  Maybe I'm jumping on the barn find / american pickers / rust is beautiful train - and to some degree, yeah I know I am and I like it.  But it's also a matter of cost, and at the end of the day if I want to go back later and take this thing further, paint and powdercoat is easy in comparison.  I am going to great lengths to arrest any active rust and am chipping off any loose paint in the process.  Basically, I wash my bike with scotchbrite and ospho now.  

In weird contrast to this - the very 1st thing I bought for this bike (over a year and a half ago probably) was a bolt kit.  I was excited to start and knew I was missing some (probably a lot) of fasteners, and I just didn't trust the folgers can of rusty whatnot.  I opted for polished stainless steel. In retrospect I might have gone another route, but, here we are.  I know I'll be using a bucket of anti-seize, which I'm fine with.  The next thing that got me thinking was the idea of all these tremendously shiny bits smattered around on my otherwise nasty, crusty bike.  That, coupled with the fact I knew I needed an all new exhaust - sent me down the road of restoring ALL the shiny bits.  Going to be an interesting look I think...

goaarongo

Wheels

Post by goaarongo »

The spokes were just too gross for me to bear, and in my opinion were likely unsafe to ride.  I think the 2nd thing I bought was the spoke kit - but now I've got a case where I don't want to relace to nasty hubs.  So, I'm basically going all in on the wheels.  Blasted the hubs myself and had the drums cut (as there was serious rust).  New bearings with fresh packed grease of course.  New brake pads. I then took the time to carefully inspect and polish the original rims.  And I do mean I took time... it was a ton of work for a still kinda less than perfect set, but I think it saved me about $300. Standing next to them on the ground they look great - closer and some imperfections are visible.  They trued up ok (will need a revisit after some actual riding) and overall I'm happy. Here's A LOT of pics, as this was a journey.

schrader7032

Quote: Schrader - I'm not

Post by schrader7032 »

Schrader - I'm not sure the messaging feature on the site is working. I guess I could just post my VIN here. Frame# 653025.
Thanks. I'll need an email contact to put on the orphan list.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

malmac

Now that is a terrific looking workshop

Post by malmac »

I couldn't see the barrel of red wine but I know it is just out of frame.

The work you are doing is very impressive.
I just seem to take so long to move along through each small stage and my bike, which is far from perfect is like mint condition compared to yours.

I do have two bikes to do and one is in far worse condition than the other.
It needs it's wheels doing. Your post has given me more to think about.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

goaarongo

Haha - close - but its a

Post by goaarongo »

Haha - close - but its a whiskey barrel.

schrader7032

OK, I've written down your

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, I've written down your information, so you can delete if you want to. I will post that the frame is available and to contact you to discuss. It might take a bit to get that info posted...I have to wake up an old Windows7 computer!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

malmac

What a class workshop

Post by malmac »

Whisky and cigars and undoubtedly carpet slippers and a dressing gown.

I really need to get my act together and add some class to my workshop.

Overall gone.
Safety boots gone.
Fashionable safety glasses with coloured frames - buy
Yellow pointy toed shoes - secure
Incense burner - definitely.

Am, I on the right track?
I didn't want to make a straight copy of your class act.

Cheers

Dr Malfiesance

mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Daves79x

Your Wheels

Post by Daves79x »

Your wheels look excellent! FYI, they are high-lip Weinmanns from the /2 era ('61 and later). The '56 frame would have originally worn high lip Weinmann wheels also, but in a single-cross spoke pattern. Not that it matters - you have an excellent project to work on there and eventually enjoy riding.

Dave
Dave

goaarongo

Here you go -

Post by goaarongo »

Thanks again for doing that.