If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R51/3 - Front Crankshaft Bearing Cover Assembly question

Micha

R51/3 - Front Crankshaft Bearing Cover Assembly question

Post by Micha »

As part of the front main bearing assembly process, with its bearing cover/house, there is a provision that says it should be heated and then mounted on the crankshaft. Will cooking the entire main bearing house (with bearing and shield assembled inside) in engine oil make the inside race of the bearing warm enough? A bit cumbersome and smelly, isn’t it?
Are there any other methods?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Daves79x

It Doesn't

Post by Daves79x »

The front carrier/bearing assembly does not need to be heated, at least according to the Barrington book and from my experience doing two of them, but I suppose you can heat it a bit. If you have worked quickly enough, the crankshaft should still be quite cold from being in the freezer and the case should still be pretty warm. This will allow the bearing to slide over the crank much of the way and the carrier to fit into the recess. You need to work fairly quickly here. Get the carrier pushed home with the appropriate tools, then bolt it in. Reinstall the tools to then pull the crank forward into the front carrier. Hopefully the crank will still be chilled and the case warm, as the rear bearing needs to come forward with the crank with out lagging, or you'll need to tap the race forward to get the crank to rotate freely. Both of mine came forward properly.

Dave
Dave

Micha

Thanks.

Post by Micha »

Thanks.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466