If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Vin and other info of my R69S, info for Kurt

flr69s

Vin and other info of my R69S, info for Kurt

Post by flr69s »

Hi Kurt and all,
I have some info that can go in the Vin database that you maintain on this site.
My R69S has the number 663712 on the 3 places (engine, frame and tag). BMW Germany told me it was manufactured on August 25th 1967 and delivered to "the BMW importer X" in Dakar (Senegal} on October 24th, so exactly 2 months to get it in Africa! It came with a bench seat. I don't know what is meant by "Importer X": have they lost the name, or maybe there was no official dealer and X was the first owner?
I do have a copy of the official registration to a new {2nd, 3rd,...?) owner in 1981, where it is mentioned " first put on the road December 26th 1967". That document is annotated by hand "sold January 5th 1990" and stamped with a customs stamp dated January 9th 1990, meaning it left the country then. Language on the papers is French, normal since Senegal has been a French colony.
I also have import papers into port of Antwerp (Belgium) where it cleared customs on March 29th 1990. Apparently it landed then in the hands of a Brussels mechanic who overhauled the machine, reset the odometer to zero ald sold it to a guy who first rode it and then gave it to his wife when he got a R1200. I bought it from them acouple of years ago.
It is optically and mechanically in excellent condition!

Well, that is the history as far as I know. What I dont know is the real total milage (currently about 15,000 km), have the slingers been done by the Brussels mechanic, and was its original color maybe white, as I see some traces of white paint around the tank cap opening, or was there always a white first paint layer, even on the black ones (current color)? I could very well understand that white was more suited in the tropics than black.
Any comments very welcome!

Best regards,
Frank
Frank Louwers (Belgium) 1967 R69S

schrader7032

Got it...thanks!

Post by schrader7032 »

Got it...thanks! Nice that you could get that much info on the bike's history.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.