If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Throttle Twist Grip Drag

jeffrey

Throttle Twist Grip Drag

Post by jeffrey »

OK, I've had my 69S three days now and I'm starting to find all sorts of fun stuff.

I noticed that my throttle does does not snap back when I release it. I took the twist grip off and noticed that there is a bit of spring steel riveted to the outboard end of the throttle sleeve that grabs the end of the handlebar and creates drag on the throttle.

I can't think of any particular reason to induce drag on the twist grip, or am I missing something?

I need to replace my grips so now would be a good time to remove the dragging appendage.

Any good reason not to?

flr69s

Twist grip with springs

Post by flr69s »

OK, I've had my 69S three days now and I'm starting to find all sorts of fun stuff.

I noticed that my throttle does does not snap back when I release it. I took the twist grip off and noticed that there is a bit of spring steel riveted to the outboard end of the throttle sleeve that grabs the end of the handlebar and creates drag on the throttle.

I can't think of any particular reason to induce drag on the twist grip, or am I missing something?

I need to replace my grips so now would be a good time to remove the dragging appendage.

Any good reason not to?

That twist grip with the spring still in it is really rare now and regularly sought after! So I'd advise you to keep the grip intact, you can still buy new twistgrips [without the spring) from BMW or other sources.

The purpose is to give you some kind of cruise control.

Best regards,
Frank
Frank Louwers (Belgium) 1967 R69S

Beemer100

in the old days, when bikes

Post by Beemer100 »

in the old days, when bikes had no indicators, you had to give signal with your arm. In order to control your gas while signaling a right turn, this spring kept the throttle. As Frank says, very rare since most of these spring broke off.
If you don't feel comfortable with it, replace the entire grip and put this one in the vitrine!!

Daves79x

Don't!

Post by Daves79x »

Don't remove the spring! I didn't like mine at first either, but you will come to like it. Great for warming the bike up, and as pointed out, for signaling turns. It's rare to find one intact, I got lucky and both of mine are.

Dave
Dave

kfelt

Right Turn

Post by kfelt »

I thought to make a right turn you would use your left arm bent 90 deg. with your hand pointed up? In the US anyway.

jeffrey

Thanks, folks. I thought it

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks, folks. I thought it might have something to do with faster idle/cruise control. Sticky throttles always bug me so I think I'll find a new or used one before I nix the spring.

And yes...here in the US, we use the left arm at 90 degrees to signal right. Not that anyone here knows what that means... 8|

schrader7032

I agree with the others...the

Post by schrader7032 »

I agree with the others...the internal spring is unobtanium. My R69S came without the spring...I remember how tired my hand was during a cross-country trip. I occasionally would reach over with my left hand to hold the throttle while I flexed my sore hand. I was able to find someone who had a NOS original grip. I jumped on it and installed it. Really nice to take the pressure off the hand...also nice, as stated, to hold a throttle setting when warming up or tuning the carbs.

Recently I began to notice that it was taking more pressure to rotate the grip. After a ride, I did about an hour's refurb to remove, clean, and relube the throttle tube. Muy Bueno now!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Jim D 5112

The Spring

Post by Jim D 5112 »

I ride all of my bikes with a drag on the throttle. It's nice to be able to take your hand off of the throttle without slowing down.
Once you get used to turning the throttle back its not a problem. That was another safety requirement to protect you by your government.
If you need to replace one just look for a old feeler gauge for the spring steel, cut or grind it to size and rivet it on. I like it better than cruise control for just riding back roads. I never take mine off unless working on that area. Lots of older motorcycles have a adjustable drag for the throttle.