If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Getting the old horn to work "right"

Twocams

Getting the old horn to work "right"

Post by Twocams »

I got the 69 R69S out today. She has been sleeping in the shop for the past 6 months. Put some gas in, kicked er a few times then opened the throttle a wee bit. She came to life, so we went for a little ride up the road & back to see how far it was.
I have a Klaxon made in France, so it says on the back. I cleaned it up couple yrs ago but never put on the bike cause I have a wire problem. Horn will work if using jumper wires from the battery.
So the 2 wires 1 grn/blk , 1 blk. Grn/blk wire hot with key on ( good). Blk wire not hot but also not a ground. Hook the grn/blk wire to horn with blk wire hooked up to other terminal and both are hot ( no ground threw the H terminal). I did have the board out once but maybe didn't get the wires hooked up right. Any Ideas what I did wrong?
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

wa1nca

No horn

Post by wa1nca »

I got the 69 R69S out today. She has been sleeping in the shop for the past 6 months. Put some gas in, kicked er a few times then opened the throttle a wee bit. She came to life, so we went for a little ride up the road & back to see how far it was.
I have a Klaxon made in France, so it says on the back. I cleaned it up couple yrs ago but never put on the bike cause I have a wire problem. Horn will work if using jumper wires from the battery.
So the 2 wires 1 grn/blk , 1 blk. Grn/blk wire hot with key on ( good). Blk wire not hot but also not a ground. Hook the grn/blk wire to horn with blk wire hooked up to other terminal and both are hot ( no ground threw the H terminal). I did have the board out once but maybe didn't get the wires hooked up right. Any Ideas what I did wrong?

The black wire should be grounded when the horn switch is pushed to complete the circuit
If you have power on the blk/grn wire when the key is pushed in then thats good so the blk wire is not getting grounded when the horn button is pushed in
The blk should go to HO terminal on switch board (this is just a connecting point on the switch board) and should be one other wire connected which goes to the horn switch and gets grounded to the handlebars when the switch is pushed in
To trouble shoot
Ground the blk wire on the horn (Key down) to the frame/engine
if that works then run a ground from HO on the switch board to frame/engine
If that works the the other wire wire on the HO terminal going to the horn switch is bad or most likley the horn switch is defective

Tommy

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA