If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New guy: 50/2 or 60/2 - WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?

jwonder

Comparison

Post by jwonder »

From the published specs I have seen, the R50/2 is 26HP and the R60/2 is 30HP.

If the motorcycle weighs 430lbs + a 200 pound rider (being conservative here without gas, oil, McDonalds, etc) that makes the power to weight ratios for each:

R50/2: 24.23 pounds per horsepower
R60/2: 21.00 pounds per horsepower
R69S: 15.00 pounds per horsepower (included for comparison purposes)

I will hazard a guess that you will feel a small difference in 3.23 pound per HP but not much. You will feel a HUGE difference between 15 to 24.23 pounds per HP.

I have an R51/3, R50/2 and R69S and I live on Long Island in NY. I never have a problem with the R50/2 or R51/3 in traffic or on the open road in fast traffic. To be brutally honest, I like the 500cc bikes better than the R69S as they are very smooth, extremely reliable, easier to start and take less gas. The 500cc bikes get up and going fast enough if you use the torque curve appropriately in the first two gears.

So, my thoughts are much like others; buy the one you can afford, is within your abilities to repair and run on a regular basis and the one that makes you smile when you look at it!

Good hunting!

James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Daves79x

Back to Your

Post by Daves79x »

Back to the other part of the equation. Do you want a pristine bike that is already restored, or that you want to restore yourself? Or do you want a nice rider that is mechanically sound, with some (or more) patina? You'll be money ahead with the latter, for sure. There are quite a few bikes available for reasonable money, it seems. If you are willing to spend $15-$20K, you'll find closer to the former, $10K should get you a very nice rider right now.

Dave
Dave

jeffrey

...other part of the equation...

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks, Dave - your response is timely. Today I rode a 1968 R/50 with a rebuilt engine with less than 50 miles on it. The bike has original paint throughout, Denfeld solo seat and what looks like stock everything else. Rides great, solid clutch, good brakes and tires. There are a few small scratches here and there but I think it would clean up very nicely. Since I'm new to the game, I don't know what else I should be looking for. Owner is local to me, a good guy and a member of this group. He has owned a 69/S for 40 years. Asking price is $15K.

Thoughts?

Slash2

$15k for an R50/2 sounds high

Post by Slash2 »

$15k for an R50/2 sounds high even with a rebuilt motor but hey, it’s your money! There are great deals to be had if you’re patient, $15k for an R50 isn’t likely one of them. I bought an R69S with 20k original miles in beautiful shape a few years ago for $10k and have seen plenty of very nice R50/2’s sell for $8-12k. Of course I haven’t seen the bike you’re looking at but unless there’s something extra special about it I’d keep hunting.

Availability usually jumps to over the next few months as well. Keep tabs on Craigslist, and the various classified listings as well. You’ll likely pay more on eBay. Do your homework and know what you’re looking at when it come to originality, matching numbers etc.

Good luck!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

jeffrey

I've been watching...

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks, Slash2. I've been watching prices all over the country for the past 5 months via CL, MOA, FB groups, etc., and I'm seeing basket cases for $5K right on through to museum-level bikes closing in on $18-$20K. Plenty of bikes out there in the $10K range but they are "mystery" bikes - bikes that have either 50+K miles or mysterious histories. I realize that we are just coming out of winter and COVID-19, but I'm just not seeing any deals out there. I would love to find a 69/S for $10K!

San Arthur

Good news and bad news

Post by San Arthur »

Unfortunately or fortunately it may be a buyers market in the next few weeks. I hope things get better soon for everybody.

Saludos

Arturo
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

Daves79x

I Think

Post by Daves79x »

I think the bike you are looking at may be worth $15K, all else being equal. With the funk we're in right now, $12K or so might be more appetizing. If all the work done can be verified and the original paint is very nice, that's a good combination. You'd have the asking price in a full restoration, plus the cost of the bike you are restoring.

Dave
Dave

FL54

Market prices tend to be

Post by FL54 »

Market prices tend to be regional but I agree with others that unless there is something special about this bike, $15K seems high. Also agree that $8-10K should get you a decent rider.
I’ve never ridden an R69 but have an R50 and an R60. I love riding the R50 as it is very nimble and smooth. However, without putting undue strain on it, 60 MPH is about it. The R60 can do 70+ without a problem.
From the description of your riding style, I’d go with the R60. Probably not a big delta in price so why not get the more powerful bike?
Central Oregon

Slash2

One final point to remember

Post by Slash2 »

One final point to remember though it may seem obvious is that value is never determined by what the seller is asking, but rather what the buyer is willing to pay. It’s quite common of vintage BMW’s to be listed at a fairly high premium with the expectation of negotiating to a more reasonable price. It can be mostly guaranteed that anyone selling a fully restored bike is taking a loss and as such this helps to understand your position in negotiating. In other words, anyone willing to buy an old bike for say $5-8k, then invest another $15k into it only to ultimately sell it for a sizable loss is clearly not someone particularly concerned with getting the most bang for their buck and when they’re ready to “free up that space in the garage,” sometimes it’s just a matter of right place, right time.

But again it’s all a matter of patience. If you can wait for the right deal, you’ll get one. If you need a bike right now, more likely you won’t.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

miller6997

Too much

Post by miller6997 »

With patience, you could find a good R69S for $15K (follow this one, for example). Only a fully restored R50--needing nothing--should command that price. I would first verify the details of the work that has been done on the engine ("rebuilt" is a very flexible term). If it looks good, I would offer $11.5K and see where he goes. I hope I'm wrong, but I think the market is going to stagnate for some time. Personally, I wouldn't pay (or expect to receive) a premium price for anything right now.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California