If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New guy: 50/2 or 60/2 - WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?

jeffrey

Scammers...

Post by jeffrey »

westeagle - Yes - I was very recently sucked into one of those scams. There are sites out there that are set up like the bike/auto trader sites. Lots of bikes for sale at very good prices. Most require an email and phone number in order to contact the seller. It looked very legit. I answered one ad and no less than 3 hours later, my email account started acting weird. Email was coming into my account already marked as "READ". Fortunately I caught it before they got to my contacts, but several friends got emails from me with nonsensical content. I assume that the hacker got to harvest some of the emails that I had open at the time and send out emails to several of my friends. I changed my password and it all went away. Until this morning... I had answered another ad using my gmail account and this morning I got a reply back from a guy claiming to have a '69 R69/US for sale in Tacoma. I never answered an ad for that bike or any bike in Tacoma. He claims lot be working on an oil rig and his good friend will facilitate the sale while he is gone. No specifics about the bike - just general statements about the bike being well cared for, etc. I really had to laugh because a painter friend of mine who sells her work online was recently approached by an interested buyer who just happens to be working on an oil rig!

FL54

Had a similar experience a

Post by FL54 »

Had a similar experience a few years ago. Unreasonably low price on a bike. Same story about working on an oil rig and had to sell right away.
Central Oregon

Kennneee

Re: New guy: 50/2 or 60/2 - WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?

Post by Kennneee »

I was recently shopping for a R60/2 and came very close to getting scammed as FL54 describes. These guys are very slick and polished. They have slick looking websites and great pics and videos of the bikes. They poach the media from other sites and sound legit. They have recommend shipping companies and some are nice enough to escrow your money. Be careful. I was a breath away from learning the really hard way.

huntmiller

Re: New guy: 50/2 or 60/2 - WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?

Post by huntmiller »

I've owned a 50/2 and 69s 30 years ago. I sold them to get married and have children but now after 30 years I purchased an R69s. I have very sentimental feelings about my R50/2 and would pick one up if it were clean. I mostly ride on meandering country roads and an R50/2 would just hum along for me. As others have mentioned you can buy a lot of work getting a rusty worn out fixer upper.
Hunt
1965 R69s w/Wixom fairings and bags
1979 R65 w/Siebenrock 860cc, Luftmeister fairing