If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New guy: 50/2 or 60/2 - WHICH WOULD YOU BUY?

davidmcctan

I have the 60/2 and it's like

Post by davidmcctan »

I have the 60/2 and it's like they said, in real world traffic, not too enjoyable
I have a 69 motoguzzi v750 and use that on the freeways , but even then its get hairy
I was looking at the r900s and thinking that it was a practical and good looking bike.

The 60/2 I use for running around downtown. I think I will put a sidecar on it..

My 2c's..

R68

Which would you buy...

Post by R68 »

Lots of good advice here; I'm sure you'll make the right decision.
I always used to ride R50 and R51/3.
I always thought R69S and R68 were just designed to be flipped to make money.
When I get to motorcycle heaven, and everything is available brand new the first one I'll buy will be a '55-'57 R69, then a '55-57 R50, then a '56 R60.
I'll pass on R50S, anything with "USA" front forks...
As Mal stated and others implied, buy the best, most well maintained, and most original BMW you can find, and avoid paying for weird accessories: big tanks, spotlight mirrors, tachometers, fairings, bizarre colors...and always use your protective gear!

thanson

I will mention this since I

Post by thanson »

I will mention this since I was in a similar situation when I was looking for a bike. I first looked at a R50/2......smooth but severe lack of power. If you ride it once a year then no worries.....If you plan on actually riding it then it was pretty weak in the power department. I then decided I would look for an R60/2 since the r69/r69s cost more and I was told the R60/R60-2 was the best of both worlds. I ended up buying a 1957 R60, I love the bike and would never sell it. However now that I have the benefit of hindsight.....If I could do it again I would've bought R69/R69s. When riding solo the machine is great for its age, but when you load it up with gear and a passenger you wish you had bought the R69 instead. Then again I ride mine a lot more than most people do. I will say again I don't regret my R60.....just that I probably would've been a little happier with a R69/R69s. Especially since the cost of rebuilding components is the exact same between both models.

I will say that even a R60/2 with 2 extra horsepower makes a noticeable difference over my 28 hp.

jeffrey

Great advice... many thanks.

Post by jeffrey »

Thanks again to everyone for all the great advice. I'm not in any particular hurry and I will spend the time to find the right bike. I consider hunting for a bike fun and spent 8 months (each) looking for the last 2 bikes I bought.

It sounds like most folks here think that the R/50 is really not suited for any long distance or freeway riding. I avoid freeways as much as possible and ride mostly backroads where I live. That said, I'll eventually end up on a freeway to get somewhere, so more HP makes sense.

I realize that this is a weird time to be looking for a bike. There's not all that many R/60s and 69/Ss out there right now. Ideally, I would like to find something on the West Coast so I could see it and pick it up. I've bought bikes long distance before and talking with the seller was key vs. an eBay sale - which I'd rather avoid. I'm hoping that better weather and the virus lifting by summer may change the whole inventory picture entirely.

I've had good luck finding bikes on the West Coast by placing CL wanted ads in various cities here. I will probably do that soon and get this search in gear...

San Arthur

Long distance

Post by San Arthur »

I try 3 time to finish a 1,100 mile trip on a R26. I can only imagine what that trip could have been on a R50, oh boy.
http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/8025
http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/10549

Everything is relative! Is not only the speed, is the journey too.

Parts and labor are going to be similar, regardless of the model you choose. The important question is which one of these do you want the most? Go for it!.

I would love to have an R69S.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

bstratton

R50

Post by bstratton »

Sorry but couldn't help jumping in. If you want my opinion just ask - or wait.

I bought and fully restored (myself) a 1965 R50. I previously did the same with a 1971 R60/5. The R60 is a completely different animal and not part of this discussion. The high compression motor is not comparable to the /2 models. I still love to ride the /5.

That said - I am head over heels in love with the R50 and I only paid $2,500 for it (barn find). It is the smoothest, sweetest ride. All pleasure all the time. It never gets old. I have put about 1500 miles on it since the restoration. That little low compression motor pulls like a tractor. Almost no power curve - very torquey. It took me a while to dial it in but haven't had to do anything to it but change the oil since break-in. 1 kick bike hot or cold.

It won't win any races but very comfortably keeps up with traffic and at 6 feet 200 lbs I don't feel too big for it. Of course this all depends on what kind of riding you want to do. I stripped mine down - no bags because I like the look and I generally don't need luggage. I stay off the highways and don't intentionally ride in weather. She'll do 60 all day without breathing hard - but I don't generally do that either.

My vote is for the R50 - hands down but I'm sure you will like whatever /2 you find. If you are reasonably mechanically inclined - pick one up that isn't perfect. They are simply designed - especially compared to american bikes and relatively easy to repair and adjust and very reliable. If you want a touring bike for over-nighters or long haul highway driving get a new(er) one. Say 2018. They are also beautiful bikes and $15k will get you something decent. I might let my R50 go for $15k - It needs nothing - when I am done riding it - and breathing..
Enjoy and good luck!

Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

malmac

Its about relationship

Post by malmac »

My experience with a lifetime love of motorcycles is that it is about relationship. You have to fall in love with the bike. It has to feel good, it's not a numbers game. Yes we have been trained to look at the numbers and I think American's invented wanting MORE, MORE, MORE...... or am I misguided there?

I think when you look at all the bikes you will fall in love and that is how it should be. She may not be tidy, she may have a few shortcomings, but it will take love to really appreciate the ride. If the bike is just going to be a sort of fashion accessory make sure those who you wish to impress will envy you for having it......

Otherwise I would go with the love model....

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

jeffrey

Keeping my chin up...

Post by jeffrey »

"R50" - I would love to start my vintage ownership with a $2500 R50! I realize that yours is an exception, but I'm just not seeing much of ANYTHING below $12K that I would even consider. I see mystery bikes with dubious histories and repairs/mods for $8K and bikes in boxes for $5K. I don't want a project bike - I want a rider. I am willing to restore the bike from stem to stern down the road if that's what it needs, but I don't want to start out that way. I wrench on all my bikes and cars and generally find that I am happier fixing and replacing stuff as I go vs. buying a project in a box.

Anyway... as I said before - this may just be an odd time to find a vintage BMW which is why there just aren't many choices out there right now.

That said, I will carry on and update this thread with news when it comes. I have spent months looking for particular bikes so this is nothing new to me.

Thanks again to everyone with all the excellent advice. I am lucky to be a part of this group.

FL54

Patience. With 26mm folks

Post by FL54 »

Patience. With 26mm folks unemployed in the US, there may be some opportunities. In normal times however, Spring is the worst time of year to buy a motorcycle IMHO.
Central Oregon

westeagle

Watch for Scammers!

Post by westeagle »

Hi There

I recently completely restored a 1957 R50, which by the way, I find to be a very easy and comfortable ride. Personally it is powerful enough for me even though I'm a big guy 220lb. I don't take it on super highways and it is perfect for me- A true joy.

I did want to mention that while I was looking to purchase my bike, I came across a few incredible "deals" where the bike was restored but they wanted little $ for it. After looking into it, it became apparent that it was a scam (always do an image search on google to see if they lifted the photos from a legit previous sale) They lifted the original description as well so all the technical details were there about the work done to the bike. One giveaway was that the edited parts of the description had a string of sudden bad grammar. After contacting the sellers by email, they claimed a sudden health problem was causing the firesale and said to wire the money and they would use a legit shipping company etc...

Make sure you buy it in person or use Ebay or something with protections from fraud. I used Ebay and found that my seller had very good feedback plus a good reputation on Facebook as a bike dealer.

Best of luck in your search!

Here's a recent pov video of my R50 on a ride.

https://youtu.be/Q6PNy7g6kaw
'57 R50; '73 R75/5 LWB