If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R51/3: Camshaft front bearing extracting - Help needed. Pictures inside.

Micha

R51/3: Camshaft front bearing extracting - Help needed. Pictures inside.

Post by Micha »

I tried to disassemble the front camshaft bearing in order to refurbish the cam.
The problem is that it cannot be pushed completely out, until it is released, because one of the cams interferes.
there's not enough room.
Please your help / ideas.
Thank you and a nice weekend.
Attachments
d.jpg
d.jpg (102.97 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
c.jpg
c.jpg (36.67 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
b.jpg
b.jpg (377.35 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

808Airhead

it is supposed to be pressed

Post by 808Airhead »

it is supposed to be pressed off toward the front of the cam shaft,not towards the rear. Please do yourself a favor and buy the Barrington manual or any manual for that matter.......it is essential. There are great technical tips and pictures to guide you towards a successful rebuild. It is worth its weight in gold.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

Micha

Of course to the front. It

Post by Micha »

Of course to the front.
It can not be pushed the other way around.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

mcsherry1328

cam bearing

Post by mcsherry1328 »

When I have problems disassembling engine parts and I don't have the tools, like a big press I take it to a local shop that can do it. It won't cost much and is a simple task to remove with a press. This should be quite easy to remove.
I also agree that the Barrington manual is essential. I couldn't have done my slinger cleaning project without it. Also, I bought the Ed Korn many in one tool. If you are doing your own work at home you must have these two items. They will make things 100 percent better. For me it was also totally helpful for plunger frame suspension removal and assembly as well as wiring harness replacement. I bought one for /2 and one for plunger frame and am so pleased they produced them. All the best, Michael

Micha

camshaft bearing issue

Post by Micha »

Guys,
I have most of the tools, I have access to a lathe, a hydraulic press stand, I can weld and have most hand tools a mechanic will need. In this bearing case it's a matter of technique. A method of attacking the problem. I admit I didn't delve into it enough, so I asked over here. I think asking questions here will strengthen the forum, the connections between people and contribute to the discourse and discussion. Not to mention, of course, the knowledge we gather here in the forum. I think - and this is my opinion - that these are the main reasons the various forums exist. Of course, there are owners and managers of the forum and they are the ones who set the rules. I have no doubt about that.
This R51/3 project of mine is done with a very limited budget. I need the bike in a running order, that's it. The paint job will be poor, I know that already as it’s a very costly thing. But mechanically the machine will be top notch. I need her reliable and safe. So, I made some tools by my own (there are technical Matra drawing out there in the web) and the Barrington will have to wait, I'm afraid. I admit that I am missing it here and there, I understand that, but then again, I must look on every Shekel spent. I appreciate your help; you are always ready with an idea or a tip. On this one I will be glad to get a tip, again.
Thank you all.

Attachments
tools_self_made_013.jpg
tools_self_made_013.jpg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
tools_self_made_014.jpg
tools_self_made_014.jpg (64.29 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
tools_self_made_012.jpg
tools_self_made_012.jpg (49.61 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
tools_self_made_006.jpg
tools_self_made_006.jpg (46.72 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
tools_self_made_003.jpg
tools_self_made_003.jpg (41.92 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
tools_self_made_001.jpg
tools_self_made_001.jpg (50.88 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
flywheel_puller.jpg
flywheel_puller.jpg (40.98 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
flywheel_puller_2.jpg
flywheel_puller_2.jpg (44.35 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

jwonder

Bearing puller and press

Post by jwonder »

Michael,

I just used a bearing clamshell puller (like in the picture I attached) to go under the bearing and then threaded a bolt into the front of the camshaft to push on. I put it in the hydraulic press and it came right out! It was not hard and I have done several like this. Once it starts moving it comes right off.

BTW, I like the tools you made!!!

I hope this helps.

James

Attachments
iu.jpeg
iu.jpeg (483.99 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Micha

Thank you, James, I

Post by Micha »

Thank you, James, I appreciate your time.
Unfortunately, this puller can't reach the bearing from behind. You can see in the pictures that there is a lip at the bottom of the bearing house/holder, on the rear side. The front part of the bearing is sticking out and can not go any further after pushing it, because the cam on the other side on the shaft is in the way…

Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

dardaris2725

is this what you're trying to do

Post by dardaris2725 »

Here are some instructions for the cam bearing removal.
If you can't afford a Barrington manual, probably a factory manual is available and cheaper.
It also details removal of the bearing. You really should have something.
Something the Barrington manual stresses a lot is applying heat when working on press fits.
Either disassembly or reassembly. 180-225*F
Attachments
cam2.tiff
cam2.tiff (558.41 KiB) Viewed 2984 times
cam.tiff
cam.tiff (648.12 KiB) Viewed 2984 times

Beemer100

I don't know the rules here

Post by Beemer100 »

I don't know the rules here in this forum but I do not think that the solution to Micha's restricted budget restoration should be to copy pages from the Barrington book. I would assume there is a copy right on it. But even if not, Chris put a lot of effort into the making of this book and we should support him by buying and paying for it. Don't get me wrong, Dardaris, your intentions are good, just don't think its the right process.

Micha knows where to get the manuals. The original BMW manual is even available as download for free (I think here there is an agreement with the Company about copy rights).

I think a couple of times he got the recommendation to buy himself a proper manual before damaging expensive parts. He decided not to do so, which is a decision I respect. Yes, it triggers communication on the forum and that's what a forum is here for. Guess the only risk for Micha is, to create this damage before asking, or the Forum is getting tired of answering to questions which are excessively discussed in the various manuals.

my 2 cents

Micha

I agree with Beemer100. I

Post by Micha »

I agree with Beemer100.
I really appreciate your help Dardaris. You took the time to scan and upload the instructions for me and I thank you kindly for that and for your good will, but I certainly don't want to infringe on copyright. I just thought there was someone here who had already done it himself and is able to explain. The process, by the way, is not detailed in the BMW manual. I will of course overcome this problem.
All this ping pong here makes me wonder: what is a decent question for this forum? What is not? What is a proper question? What can be asked and what will make this forum tired? Are all the processes outlined in this Barrington manual prohibited for questioning here in the forum?
As Bimmer100 said - it's my decision not to buy the guide right now. On the other hand - I don't think that only rich or wealthy people should enjoy these machines.
Bimmer100, I took your last comments to my attention.
Thank you all and a pleasant weekend :)
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466