If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 Electronic Ignition and 12V

skychs

R60/2 Electronic Ignition and 12V

Post by skychs »

1966 R60/2

While talking to someone about adding an electronic ignition to a /2 they said it "includes" the 12V upgrade. Is that true or are they two different upgrades. I'd consider replacing the points/condenser but I don't need the extra voltage. Im all LED.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
chuck
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

wa1nca

Ignition upgrade

Post by wa1nca »

1966 R60/2

While talking to someone about adding an electronic ignition to a /2 they said it "includes" the 12V upgrade. Is that true or are they two different upgrades. I'd consider replacing the points/condenser but I don't need the extra voltage. Im all LED.

I apologize in advance if this is a stupid question.
chuck

Im sure you can get just the ignition if you request it
I upgraded my r69s with vape (mZ) didn't like it and went back to original magneto
I see no advantage to upgrade the ignition as the magneto is so reliable
You may also want to consider you may need to order replacement parts if needed from Germany as Joel in Calif is not the us distributor anymore
You can get a new coil, points, condensor, here

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Beemer100

I think this is a

Post by Beemer100 »

I think this is a philosophical question in most cases: Magneto or electronic ignition. If the main components are still good nothing beats the original setup. Needs a bit more TLC but overall very reliable and you get home in most cases.
If the FKV (advance mech) is already worn out and needs replacement (in most cases with an aftermarket non original unit) ... that's when I first think about changing. If then the difference between left and right spark is more than 5 degrees ... I would change. My 2 cents

I run currently 5 beemers, two (R75 and R69S) with original magneto setup. Both work fine. The other three bikes, I changed for above mentioned reasons. All 3 work just fine. You install them, close the cover and forget about it ... that's really nice.

I run 3 different ignitions:
VAPE: total replacement incl generator. This means you are on 12V!
Sachse: Very nice setup ... stays at 6V or you can upgrade. Your choice. Easy to setup and you have several curves to play with (if that's what you need and/or like). I love it. But the black box doesn't like heat and needs to be placed under the tank (not a big issue, though).
Kleiber: Same as the Sachse but older technology. The nice thing here is that everything fits in the front under the cover. Cover closed and you see absolutely nothing outside that you run on an electronic ignition.

So, short answer. I love the fact that there are modern options available but I wouldn't change just for the sake of changing. And, there are options where you can stay on 6V

best
KLaus

skychs

Thanks guys..... All of that

Post by skychs »

Thanks guys..... All of that is helpful.

Im going to look at all the option listed above and get back to you. The Kleiber interests me the most (6V, under the front cover).

chuck
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

Beemer100

Chuck, here are the

Post by Beemer100 »

Chuck,

here are the websites

Sachse: https://www.elektronik-sachse.de/shopsy ... mount.html
Kleiber: https://www.ebay.de/itm/BMW-R51-3-R50-R ... 1944398434

The little black box for the Sachse ignition (north west corner of the picture) needs to be placed somewhere outside where its not exposed to too much heat (I put mine behind the battery rack ... hardly visible but accessible to change ignition curves).

I am not selling these ignitions and don't get anything promoting them. But I run both and can't say anything bad about them. Sachse is a bit more accessible to talk to ... Kleiber is difficult to get support (if needed). I think, if ever my magneto on my R69S comes to an end, I would change to the Sachse system.

Klaus

wa1nca

Sachse digital ignition

Post by wa1nca »

I see this is available with or without the ignition coil
Does the original bmw coil work with this setup
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Beemer100

no, unfortunately not. You

Post by Beemer100 »

no, unfortunately not. You will need another coil.

mcsherry1328

Klaus, Thanks so much for

Post by mcsherry1328 »

Klaus, Thanks so much for posting these two ignition systems. I had never heard of them before. Great information, Michael

ahistand

I think the question of

Post by ahistand »

I think the question of electronic systems vs the original magneto system is largely personal preference and intended use. I don’t have any strong feelings one way or the other except to mention a couple things. I only have experience with the PowerDynamo system which was frustrating to setup and never worked properly at all on one friends R51/3 that I installed it on. Ultimately, after lots of research and emails we decided to ditch it and stick with the original setup. Now that was just one bike. Maybe we got a dud, I dunno.
For me, I really feel that the original system is more than adequate and robust for the performance of these now almost 70 year old bikes. It’s true there are parts to wear out, but replacing them (mostly with parts that will last a very long time, especially considering the nature of how most of us use these bikes) is relatively cheap and easy. The new coils are very good and fairly inexpensive, advance mechanisms can be restored or replaced with new, new Bosch points are cheap and last forever, same with condensers, and magneto rotors can be re-magnetized. Doing all of these at once results in a bulletproof system for the foreseeable future. One could make the argument that the electronic ignition will offer more stable timing and advance, which I agree with, but I feel it is a very negligible gain, especially considering the overall feel and personality by which these machines run, and how we run them.

The other thing is, I think it’s great that having a battery is not necessary to run the bike, something that’s lost when converting to electronic ignition. Maybe that’s not a big deal, as it’s easy and cheap to buy a quality maintenance free battery and keep it charged, but nonetheless I like the idea of the battery being essentially redundant on the original system.

As far as a system such as the PowerDynamo which includes 12V conversion, some people really feel that’s a necessity. I can understand that. My experience however is that the 6V system is perfectly adequate for night riding. The low beam is good, and quite frankly I think the high beam is fantastic, and the taillight and brake are quite bright. On the other hand I’m riding fairly slow overall. Maybe I’d feel differently if I was blasting around at night at 70mph. But I don’t think many of us are riding these bikes like that.

Overall I don’t see much point to going digital, for my style of maintenance and riding. But for some maybe the small gains and solid-state piece of mind is worth the money.