If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Sidecar versus Solo springs

jwonder

Sidecar versus Solo springs

Post by jwonder »

Hello again BMW aficionados,

My R51/3 was riding what I thought was a little on the hard side even though I don’t really know what it “should” ride like versus a /2. Today I lifted the rubber gaiters and measured the springs and I seem to have sidecar springs, not solo springs on the motorcycle. They measure 6.5mm thick wire.

My question is if it really makes that much a of difference in the ride quality. A friend of mine, who knows plungers, told me that the ride on the R51/3 is always going to be that way. He did not know I had sidecar springs at the time though.

I am seriously considering buying solo springs and going to them but if the money is not worth it I will keep it as is. I would LOVE your thoughts and your ideas!

Thanks!!

James
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

wa1nca

Solo springs

Post by wa1nca »

Hello again BMW aficionados,

My R51/3 was riding what I thought was a little on the hard side even though I don’t really know what it “should” ride like versus a /2. Today I lifted the rubber gaiters and measured the springs and I seem to have sidecar springs, not solo springs on the motorcycle. They measure 6.5mm thick wire.

My question is if it really makes that much a of difference in the ride quality. A friend of mine, who knows plungers, told me that the ride on the R51/3 is always going to be that way. He did not know I had sidecar springs at the time though.

I am seriously considering buying solo springs and going to them but if the money is not worth it I will keep it as is. I would LOVE your thoughts and your ideas!

Thanks!!

James

The solo springs are 5.5mm and I would think it would be a softer ride
Vech has them at Bench Mark
3141 2054 252
$27.00 each plus shipping

You also may have sidecars springs in the rear
Tommy

Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Beemer100

I think the plunger will

Post by Beemer100 »

I think the plunger will never ride as smooth as the /2 Beemers. I find them more agile simply because of the lower weight.
I wouldn't bother too much with the sc springs. As Tommy mentioned, you might as well have the sc springs in the rear.
It depends probably also a lot of your own weight and if you drive the bike with a passenger or alone. Also road conditions ... a lot of potholes and I would prefer sc springs on both ends.

Klaus

808Airhead

My R51/3 had them,and I put

Post by 808Airhead »

My R51/3 had them,and I put solo springs in.....much better!
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69