If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Are my R51/3 wheels truly identical ? Can they be switched front to back ?

Grant R26

Are my R51/3 wheels truly identical ? Can they be switched front to back ?

Post by Grant R26 »

I have always carefully marked "front" and "rear" whenever I have installed new tires or done brake work on my R51. AND been careful to install the back tire in the original position.

Though I gather that they were in-theory interchangeable, I've assumed that the wear on the rear drive would not mesh nicely if I were to swap things and install the front tire at the back.

Am I wrong here? or is this not an issue ?

That leads me to my question of the day: Now that I am working on my Barn-Find 1952 R51/3... I am about to refinish my rims, hubs, new brake linings and re-lace both wheels.

This bike had about 45K on it when put into storage in 1960... so there certainly was some wear on the rear drive unit.

As this is part of a total rebuild, should I still be careful to fit the original rear hub to the rear position ?

That is my plan but... am I worried about nothing here?? Or is there a technical reason why I should never swap them around ?

Thanks in advance

Grant...in Toronto

Attachments
resized_new_doc_2_5311.jpeg
resized_new_doc_2_5311.jpeg (183.9 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

The Plunger

Grant, yes they are designed

Post by The Plunger »

Grant, yes they are designed to be interchangeable and I wouldn't worry too much about keeping them exclusively front or rear as long as the splines are good. I would even think it would be beneficial to swap them every year or so to even any wear on the tires and splines.
Brian
Brian
59-69

Grant R26

Thanks Brian Vech answered me

Post by Grant R26 »

Thanks Brian
Vech answered me at the shop today and suggested that I should keep one set of splines pristine (front wheel) so when I eventually wear out my rear end and replace it, then I can swap the front to the back and the new rear end will be presented with fresh wheel splines.
I'll stick with my current system but if they were swapped around it would not be a big deal and I understand that now

cheers
Grant

Miracleavn

What about the splines in the Hub?

Post by Miracleavn »

Grant,

Did you replace your splines in your hubs? I have a r67/2 and a r51/3 (both have Half Hubs) that are needing spline replacement. Not to many shops are doing that? What did you end up doing?

Thanks in advance,
Ken Miracle

Grant R26

Hi Ken my 1952 barn find R51

Post by Grant R26 »

Hi Ken
my 1952 barn find R51 has only 50K on it and both the front and rear splines look new. Vech advised that once I eventually wear out my rear i can swap around when I rebuild the final drive and use the brand new, never used front wheel.

My 1951 R51/3 seems to have been in constant use since it was made though it was heavily restored in Holland 20 years ago. both front and rear on it appear original and show little wear.

I think it takes a very long time indeed to wear these things out. Can you swap your fronts around to the rear position as Vech suggest to save the day ?

Salis in NL sells brand new half hubs...not cheap at 240 Euros but brand spanking new.

REgards
Grant