If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1965 R60/2 with R90/6

Slash2

1965 R60/2 with R90/6

Post by Slash2 »

As it often seems to happen, though never to me, sometimes bikes just fall into your lap. Usually we search for months or years for that specific model but in this case, all it took was a phone call from a friend and a few weeks later the bike was sitting in my garage. This is by far the best way, in my opinion to get a new bike, albeit the least likely. That said, it isn't a unicorn but im still tickled about it.

The bike in question is a 1965 R60/2 with what I believe to be a 1975 R90/6 motor. It's equipped with a 6.5 gallon tank, wide bench, Bucco Bags which are wired for brake lights, a fairing, and some electrical wizardry i have yet to ferret out.

Unfortunately, the original motor is nowhere to be found. Perhaps it was traded for the R90/6 or simply lost over the years. Either way, I'm looking forward to finding out how an R90/6 feels in an old /2 frame.

At this point, all electrics seem to function, save the starter so until I get that sorted, she's not going anywhere. I'll attach some photos and am looking forward to any insight, suggestions, or input from members.

Chris
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Slash2

(No subject)

Post by Slash2 »

Slash2

My photos were flagged as

Post by Slash2 »

My photos were flagged as spam so hopefully they'll make it through the rigorous vetting process and be posted shortly. Stay tuned.

schrader7032

I "unspammed" your post. As

Post by schrader7032 »

I "unspammed" your post. As for the missing /2 motor, have you checked the orphan list at the BMW VMCA website?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Slash2

Thank you!

Post by Slash2 »

Thanks Kurt. I appreciate it.

I haven't checked the orphan list. I'll have a look though. I assume there's a list of VIN numbers?

Slash2

Crossed my fingers but no

Post by Slash2 »

Crossed my fingers but no such luck. Frame beginning 6284xx. The bike came from Pennsylvania where I believe it spent all if not the majority of its life. Ideally reuniting it with its motor would be great but if that's not possible, I'll at least get her running again until perhaps the original motor is found. It does make me wonder where engines end up but I suppose over the years things just get lost or thrown away. I see so many of these old bikes being steadily parted out on ebay. It's a shame.

Jim K in PA

Looks like you have a very

Post by Jim K in PA »

Looks like you have a very good friend, and a great find in that bike. Should be very enjoyable. That old school "sissy bar" is a hoot.

I see it has later turn signals on the back too.

Enjoy it!

Jim K in PA
Pocono Mountains, PA
1966 R60/2

Daves79x

I Might

Post by Daves79x »

Chris - I might be able to help you sort the electrics. There are several relays that operate the /6 electrical system that can be problematic. The entire bike's power runs through the starter relay. I've got a spare shop manual you can use if you want.

Dave
Dave

Slash2

Thanks Dave!

Post by Slash2 »

I would love the help. There are several home-made switches which I haven't made heads or tales of yet. All the lights seem to work. Horn, blinkers, gen and neutral lights come on, but the starter button does nothing.

And for some reason, the genius who built this transmission at BMW completely forgot to install the kicker! Now what am I supposed to do! Haha!

Slash2

Thanks Jim!

Post by Slash2 »

Looks like you have a very good friend, and a great find in that bike. Should be very enjoyable. That old school "sissy bar" is a hoot.

I see it has later turn signals on the back too.

Enjoy it!

Thanks Jim! It is fun seeing the things that owners did to these bikes back in the day when they hadn't gotten too valuable to drill a few holes or strap this or that on for whatever reason. My only regret it that they often lacked the foresight to squirrel parts away for the future when they were removed.

I'm hoping that someone might recognize the bike and have some history to share. The PO passed away a few years ago and I really don't know anything about the bike, save that he had a sidecar attached to it for many years. Where the sidecar went, I have no idea.

While I'm sure the fairing is effective, I can't help but want to get rid of it, the awkward signals and make her a look a bit more like a '65 with a 70's motor, than a mish-mash of parts. I would imagine that the controls would likely need to be retained but could be installed on more period correct handlebars and most importantly a correct headlight bucket. The Bucco's are quite nice and even retain original roundels. The paint overall is actually very presentable under a thick layer of dust and grime. I imagine that after a good cleaning, she'll present well. The tank looks great inside and retains the stripers initial on the underside and was a definite bonus with the bike.