If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Furthest ridden in one day?

skyler.robbins

Furthest ridden in one day?

Post by skyler.robbins »

What's the most miles you've done in one day?
I'm sure it's no record, but last year I did a little bit over 200 flawless miles.
Went about 100 miles with no breaks varying my speeds from take off to 78mph.
Same thing on the return trip home.

You?

schrader7032

About 10 years ago, a buddy

Post by schrader7032 »

About 10 years ago, a buddy and I rode to Vech's shop in Mississippi for the spring rally. It's a little less than 800 miles one way...we made the trip in two days. Didn't take freeways...did back roads as well as the Natchez Trace. Not sure I'd ever do that again...or have the confidence.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

miller6997

Maybe 700 miles?

Post by miller6997 »

I've been riding for nearly sixty years, so I have to ponder this a bit. I think the longest single day--in my callow youth--was around 700 miles. In the recent past I’ve done several one-day trips between Pasadena and San Jose, CA. That’s 375 miles, and I usually do it in six and a half or seven hours. If I route myself on Highway 1 (Big Sur) it adds some miles and a couple of hours to the journey.

Another favorite is Pasadena to Death Valley, which is 280 miles and takes about five hours, give or take.

In the ‘seventies, on my first R69S, I did two-day trips between Pasadena and Washington State and between Pasadena and Denver. Both of those trips were about 1100 miles and I was probably on the road about ten hours per day-- say, 8AM to 6PM.

If you’re patient, if you and the bike are in reasonably good shape, and if you’re favored by good weather, there is nothing punishing about doing lots of miles on these bikes. In their heyday, they were the best touring bikes available, and they don’t degrade with time. On “blue highways,” they are really hard to beat.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Lincoln

Well over a half century ago,

Post by Lincoln »

Well over a half century ago, when I was going to college in Ohio, I rode my R26 home back and forth to New York in one day several times, a total of 615 miles. The best I've been able to do on my current R1150RT, now that I'm in my 70s and riding a bike with about 4 1/2 times the displacement of that R26, is about 700 miles. Maybe if I could get out of bed earlier in the morning and so get an earlier start, I could do more. But with age has come a modicum of wisdom.
Lincoln--Ann Arbor & Taos
1967 R69S, original owner; 1978 R100S; 2001 R1150GS; 2002 R1150RT

skyler.robbins

Damn... You guys are

Post by skyler.robbins »

Damn...
You guys are animals!
The most I've ridden time wise in a day is 6 hours.
After that, body gets a bit sore and mentally ready to call it a day from constantly guessing if other drivers see me.

Hugh Conway

Way back when

Post by Hugh Conway »

Way back when, just off the plane from a S.E. country, and the previous day discharged from the army , I retrieved my trusty Velocette from it's caretaker friend. Did a quick service and fired it up for a 1000 mile trip home. Departed with ceremony that morning and rode the day slightly above the speed limit. After dark, I left the lights off and turned up the wick........."smelling the barn", as it were, another 200 miles away. Seems quite foolhardy now, but after a year of trading insults (and other things) with Charlie, is was as nothing....Arrived as a free man with a big grin. I ride in a far more sedate manner these days.
Cheers
Hugh

baddean

Okay, I'll play In 2009,

Post by baddean »

Okay, I'll play
In 2009, while still working, A friend of mine, with little time off, decided it would be a good idea to ride from Cincinnati to Tooele Utah for the World Superbike races at, the then, Miller Motorsports Park. About 1700 miles. He only had about 7 days he could take off. So we decide on a banzai trip using the interstate.
We left Cincinnati at 8:00am on a Wednesday and were sitting in the stands at the track at noon on Friday for the practice sessions.
Two up, with our wives, we rode 758 the first day, 715 the second day and a leisurely 200 on Friday morning.
After the races my friend had to head home, but my wife and I stayed in Utah and hit all of the National parks.
Great trip, great memories.

Jim D 5112

Miles

Post by Jim D 5112 »

I have been riding for over 50 years and would often do 6-7 hundred mile days. A few years ago in my early 60s I decided to go to Bonneville again for the motorcycle races. Left SE Pa. on a Thursday morning and arrived in Denver on Friday evening a little over 1700 miles and never rode after dark. Later on the way home I went to the AMCA antique meet in Davenport Iowa and got up on a Saturday morning and rode straight home 850 miles. There have been other big days. Almost all of the really big ones are by myself but one that my friend wanted to go along with was to pickup a motor. I was pulling a trailer behind the bike to put the motor in. We had 870 miles in when we got back and he has never forgotten it.

wa1nca

Southern Cal to San Antonio Tx

Post by wa1nca »

This is Roger who I bought my R51/3 from
Left Southern California took a nap on a picnic table somewhere, then fell asleep outside of San Antonio Tx almost hit a bridge
Said it was almost his last ride
He got some rest and made it back home in Massachusetts safely
He didnt tell his mother
Yea the things we did when we were young
No fear

Tommy
Attachments
rdsc04261.jpg
rdsc04261.jpg (180.1 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

miller6997

Addendum

Post by miller6997 »

In my earlier remarks, I only described my /2 rides. I've also done some stretched-out rides on a Norton Atlas, an R100RT, a K100RT, a K11LT, an R12RT, and most recently an F800GT. I didn't count those rides because (except for the Norton) those bikes all had working brakes and bright lights, and that seems like cheating. (On the Norton, nothing worked for very long, but somehow I managed to get from Seattle to Guadalajara and back. That bloody bike was fast on every third Wednesday. At other times, it just vibrated and shed parts along the roadway.)
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California