If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Enduro bags

thanson

I just ordered the Oldtimer

Post by thanson »

I just ordered the Oldtimer bags for my '57, have not received them yet.

After doing research I decided I didn't want an original pair because they are too expensive, not very sturdy, lose bag lids, ect....

The bluemoon bags had just reappeared on ebay but when I was doing research It seemed some people were not happy with the mounting brackets. Also some complaints about cheap hardware. Again this was just what I read...no hands on experience with them.

It seems that if you had a bike you actually rode then the oldtimer bags were the way to go with better brackets and seem to be overall good quality. The only complaint some have is that they are not a perfect replica of the original enduro bags. The Bluemoon bags do look a little more like the originals. (shape wise, no pebble finish though)

So me being a rider I opted for the Oltimers, Will give an update after getting them installed. I plan on going on a LONG ride this spring so I will really find out in a hurry how I like them.

Honestly I'm sure the blue moon are fine too though, probably just a matter of preference.

FL54

No offense intended but I

Post by FL54 »

No offense intended but I too, am a rider and I do quite a bit of touring during the summer. I just don't do it on a 56 year old, 500 cc motorcycle. I have other, bigger bikes more suitable for 2 up touring. Had long range, high capacity bags been a necessity , I would have probably gone in a different direction. For my purposes, the original Enduros were a better fit for me.
Central Oregon

kfelt

Originals

Post by kfelt »

Originals are just fine for a rider (my opinion). Mine have been attached for over 25 years on a bike ridden regularly with no problems.

miller6997

/2 Touring

Post by miller6997 »

I have ridden all over the western third of this country on /2s, from the coast as far as New Mexico and Colorado and from San Diego to the Canadian border. I've also done the same on a K11LT, an R12RT, and most recently, an F800GT. You just have to adjust your trip plan to the capabilities of the bike. Give me a sweet-running R50/2 and I'll go anywhere. Cruising at 60-65mph, you can do 400-mile days with no sweat. Of course, you'll get passed a lot and on loooong grades you'll be doing 50mph, but what's the hurry? One caveat: Get a big tank.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

FL54

I get it Jon. I have several

Post by FL54 »

I get it Jon. I have several vintage bikes that I enjoy riding regularly. Slowing down, taking in the scenery and the sights is definitely an enjoyable way to go. However, at this point, for longer trips, I have a limited amount of time and have to carry considerably more luggage for 2 up touring. This necessitates taking a bigger bike, going faster and covering more ground. Hopefully, I will have more time in the future for a more leisurely pace.
Central Oregon

miller6997

Point taken

Post by miller6997 »

I haven't ridden double in decades. I agree that, for two-up touring with gear, using an R50 would definitely not be fun.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

thanson

hella

Post by thanson »

I had to do some minor modifications to the mounting hardware to get them to fit properly on my R69S, and the running lights supplied with the kit were of poor quality (this may have changed more recently). I replaced the lights with the proper Hella versions, which added a little over $100 to my cost.

I just received my oldtimer bags last night...overall very happy with the quality but mine also came with the poor quality lights. What are those lights called and where did you buy yours? I'd like to order a pair or real deal hellas. Thanks

miller6997

Light modifications

Post by miller6997 »

I bought my lights from a seller on eBay who no longer offers them, but some others do, and they are less expensive than what I paid. The part number for the version that I bought is:

2SA 997 022-001 HELLA Tail Light C5W.

If you copy and Google that, you should see several sources for the lights, including some current listings on eBay. It looks like you can get a pair for under $50, shipping included.

Now that you have the bags, the two forum threads below will be helpful as you address the installation and light modifications. In the first one, the search for replacement lights is covered. In the second thread, my posts describe what I did to modify the lights so that they would accept REALLY bright LED bulbs and serve as both running lights and turn signals. Note that I have a 12V conversion on my bike, so this solution may not be right for you unless you can find a 6V version of the LEDs.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/14894

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/15192
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

skychs

lights

Post by skychs »

R60/2 Original Enduro bags

I put an LED tail light in my /2 but left the original bulbs in my Enduro bags. I only use the Enduro bags for brake lights so Im pretty happy with the set up I have now. With LED's as popular as they are Im sure I will have a set for the brake lights in the bags very soon.

As I mentioned earlier I have the Oltimers mounts for my bags. So far they have been the best/easiest mounts for installing and removing the bags.
Attachments
img_7976.jpg
img_7976.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
img_7977.jpg
img_7977.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2564 times
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

FL54

My bags haven't arrived yet

Post by FL54 »

My bags haven't arrived yet (Tuesday), but I'm guessing that they are wired for taillight only. I'd like to wire them for tail/brake as I don't have turn signals. I did find 6v LED bulbs on eBay and plan to replace existing socket with an 1157 (dual filament) socket and run the wires to the junction connection behind the battery. The only unknown really is how to attach the 1157 socket to the light fixture. Should be pretty straightforward but has anyone done it? I know Jon has but it was on Oldtimers bags and I don't know what differences there are if any.
Central Oregon