If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Enduro bags

FL54

Enduro bags

Post by FL54 »

I know this topic has been covered before but the threads are somewhat dated. I'm thinking of getting some Enduro bags for my R50/2. I'd be interested in hearing feedback regarding expected cost of original bags vs. Old Timers and Blue Moon Scooter bags. Also quality and fitment of the new bags.
Thanks in advance.
Central Oregon

miller6997

My experience

Post by miller6997 »

I have the Oldtimers bags and am satisfied with them. They cost me a little over a thousand dollars. The bags arrived quickly and the customer service when I had questions was very good.

I had to do some minor modifications to the mounting hardware to get them to fit properly on my R69S, and the running lights supplied with the kit were of poor quality (this may have changed more recently). I replaced the lights with the proper Hella versions, which added a little over $100 to my cost. The hinges and locks for the lids are much better than those on the original Enduros. The pinstriping is stick-on, but I found it easy to apply and it seems to be secure once it is in place. The bags look sensational, with a high gloss that rivals the Glasurit paint on the bike. I have noticed a couple of very tiny areas (.5in. X .5in.) where the paint has very faint cracks, and I will have to watch those spots to see if the flaws spread. My guess is that twisting and tugging on the bags during installation caused this to happen. I know where the cracks are, but I doubt that anyone else would be able to find them.

At the time I bought these bags, I could only choose between them and a set of rare originals. I have always thought that the construction of the originals was mediocre and the flyaway lids put me off, so I went for the Oldtimers. Others will disagree, preferring the pebbled finish and originality of the old Enduros.

Recently, I have noticed that Danny Vu is selling his version on eBay again, for $1200 per set. People who bought his version in the past seemed to be happy with them, and if they had been available when I was in the market, I would definitely have given them a close look. Danny lives near me and I would have been able to examine them in person. AND, there is at present a really nice set of originals on eBay--worth watching.

So, at present you really have three choices: troll for the originals, buy from Danny, or go for the Oldtimers. Once they are on the bike, you will probably be pleased, whichever one you choose. My guess is that the originals will be the most expensive. If I were writing a check today, I would probably go with Danny.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

FL54

Thank you Jon, for your

Post by FL54 »

Thank you Jon, for your timely, detailed and informative response. I will continue researching the subject.
Central Oregon

skychs

Enduro Bags

Post by skychs »

1968 R60/2
I have a set of the original Enduro sadle bags. I found them sort-of beat up and in need of repair but they were easy to restore. Here is the link to the restoration.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/13917

To improve the durability and use of the bags I sprayed FlexSeal all over the inside of the bags. I also bought a set of mounts from Oldtimers that made it easier to install and remove. To combat the missing lid issue I installed rubber grommets in the holes that hold the lid in position (in the front). Once the little tabs are installed through the grommets its very secure and I have not had any issue. I also found a key for the locks and can lock the lids if Im on a longer trip or need security.

I don't put a ton of stuff in the bags but I do use them (rain gear) and they have been fine. IMHO .... what I like the most about the original bags ..... the textured finish. Its low maintenance and doesn't have to be polished every time I clean up the bike.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

FL54

Thanks Skychs for reply and I

Post by FL54 »

Thanks Skychs for reply and I had previously read your thread on your restoration project. Good idea on the grommets to make the lid more secure. I've gotten into the habit of locking bag lids no matter how short a distance I'm going. I lost a lid off of a Shovelhead a few years ago. I backtracked and found it but it was pretty beat up. Had to have it repaired and repainted. A stitch in time as they say.
Central Oregon

miller6997

Footnote

Post by miller6997 »

I noticed that the nice original Enduros on eBay sold for a little over $1400--so, about 30-40% more than the repops from Oldtimers and Bluemoonscooter (Danny Vu).
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

stagewex

I just saw that too and feel

Post by stagewex »

I just saw that too and feel that the buyer/winner of the auction got a pretty good deal for that set of originals.

I've never seen a pair of Danny's in person but from pictures they look to be much better quality, fit & finish than the originals.
But of course... they are not original. A Paradox, HaHa.

Does anyone know who many sets of original Enduro bags Mr. & Mrs. Stanley Newman of CT. actually produced in their garage?
At least a ballpark number.

An acquaintance who lives in Germany and familiar with BMW's saw a picture of them on my /2 and said he has never seen them before. Basically a USA thing.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

FL54

The high bidder on that

Post by FL54 »

The high bidder on that auction was me fellas. It was a bit more than I wanted to pay but I was prepared to go a little higher. I feel OK with what I paid after exchanging some emails from the seller. He says the bags came off of a previously owned R50 and have been sitting in his basement for some time. He also claims that all the mounting hardware is there including a couple of original keys.
Had I been outbid, I was prepared to go with the Bluemoon bags. My bike however, is not a museum example and I felt the original bags would be a better fit for the bike as opposed to shiny new ones.
I feel pretty confident that they'll be in good condition when they arrive.
Central Oregon

miller6997

Reasonable purchase

Post by miller6997 »

I've seen higher prices on some pretty rough original Enduros, and with a little TLC the ones you bought will work very well on your bike. And nobody will say, "Oh, but they're not original!"
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

FL54

My rationale was that I got a

Post by FL54 »

My rationale was that I got a pretty decent price on the bike itself so I could afford to splurge a little bit for some original bags. This is not a touring bike for me so functionality was not a major consideration. Most of my rides on this bike are less than 50 miles. As long as they are firmly mounted, and can hold a few items, I'm OK with it. Thanks for the input.
Central Oregon