If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

The One Motorcycle Show last night..

skyler.robbins

The One Motorcycle Show last night..

Post by skyler.robbins »

Hey Gang,
I was at The One Motorcycle Show last night here in Portland Oregon.
It is quite the show... hundreds of rare custom/stock bikes from all over the USA.
Around 3 slash 2's there.. maybe 10 or more 70's BMW's.

This one was by far my favorite.
1957(?) that this guy got running after sitting forever.
He says everything works, but it blows a lot of oil out the breather.

While shooting the shit and not seriously talking price, I think he would take around $5000 for it.

dosgatos

I'm sure he'd take $5,000 for

Post by dosgatos »

I'm sure he'd take $5,000 for it! He'd be crazy not to, and someone would be crazy to pay that. I bought a bike in better condition than this one for $5,000 three years ago and ended up putting $10,000 into it, not counting my labor. One would be mistaken to try to run this bike (or any old BMW with unknown history) without totally rebuilding engine, transmission, and bevel drive. There was almost nothing on the bike I bought that did not require repair or replacement once I got into it. For example, I paid $1,361 to have the crank rebuilt, which does not include the cost of removing and installing it in the engine! I'll grant you my R60/2 has new engine, trans, bevel, carbs, wiring, battery, powder coated frame, paint, striping, seat, on and on, but I am into it for almost $15,000 and eight months of work. I'm OK with that, as I do have a gorgeous and reliable bike, but your experience may vary. Looking at the condition of the bike pictured I would run the other way.

skyler.robbins

I'm not buying it... one is

Post by skyler.robbins »

I'm not buying it... one is enough for how expensive these things are, hahaha

312Icarus

On would be surprise what

Post by 312Icarus »

On would be surprise what “patina” bikes fetch.

Icarus

miller6997

Patina?

Post by miller6997 »

I don't think that bike is in its original color, is it? It's hard to tell from the pictures, but that doesn't look like BMW blue to me, and the rear fender looks like it may even be chrome. My sense is that "patina" only counts when it's on the original bike.

But I'm quibbling. I agree that $5000 would be way too much. Think of it as a box job that's glued together, and box jobs usually top out around $3K.

On the other hand, if the numbers match, I don't think that $2000 would be over the top.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

312Icarus

I would rather see some one

Post by 312Icarus »

I would rather see some one over pay for a the whole bike to keep it rolling, rather than have someone part out a perfectly good one.(Carefully parting it out would probably yield a much higher price, give the plethora of small parts you can sell for premiums!) While parting out a bike is a great source for some of us, it takes another one away forever.

Icarus

skyler.robbins

The paint looked original to

Post by skyler.robbins »

The paint looked original to me, but then again, I didn't spend too much time on it.. all the "patina" was consistent from the story he told me about the bike.. however I notice there isn't any pin striping.
This was his childhood friend's dad's bike and I do believe he said they bought it new.

I think someone in California who owns a couple R69s got it running for him.

skyler.robbins

I agree..

Post by skyler.robbins »

I agree..

312Icarus

Jeff Dean’s site shows a late

Post by 312Icarus »

Jeff Dean’s site shows a late 50s /2 in a similar blue...not to mention on this forum:
http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/8997

Icarus

FL54

I paid $5K for this running

Post by FL54 »

I paid $5K for this running 1963 R50/2 that also had been sitting for years as a display. 14k on the clock and I think it's legit.
Attachments
img_0621.jpg
img_0621.jpg (674.29 KiB) Viewed 2534 times
Central Oregon