If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2 side stand?

schrader7032

Welcome! I have a side stand

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome! I have a side stand on my R69S and believe it's original...I'm not totally comfortable with it as it's worn and I have a concern that the stops won't meet up and the bike might fall over. I just haven't given it much of a look to figure out how to improve it. I use the center stand all the time, even for those 15 seconds needed to open the garage door. That's just my compromise for the moment. My R25/2 doesn't have a side stand, but I use the side stand on my /7 quite a bit. So, I have it both ways on my bikes.

I'm sure what Vech has to offer would be worth it if you valued the feature.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wa1nca

Factory side stand

Post by wa1nca »

My side stand was also worn and felt It was not reliable

I measured the side stand bolt and brought it to a machine shop
He made a bushing and pressed it in
It is now like new and I use it all the time

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

2wheelhobo

R60/2 side stand?

Post by 2wheelhobo »

Being a new '67 60/2 owner (I've got 3 other Airheads), I'm having fun understanding these older machines. Just a lot of fun to ride.
My question is, what is everyone using for side stands? Mine didn't come with one, and I'm finding it a bit of a PIA to always use the centerstand, especially when I only need to leave the bike for 15 seconds, to shut the door in my shop, before jumping on it for a ride.

I've looked in the previous posts, and don't see this type of discussion, but

I see Vech has various options, but wanted to hear from other's experience as to what works for them, or what is the best option.

Thanks for your input!
Pete

Pete
Near Nashville, TN

sorbo1

R60/2 Side stand

Post by sorbo1 »

I have owned BMW /2s since they were new . I have never liked the original side stand . Approx 6 years ago I restored my 1961 R69S . I replaced the original sidestand with an aftermarket one. To fit it you remove the original 2 engine spaces on the left hand side of the engine . It is stainless steel . It retracts immediately you take the weight off lifting the bike up .My only complaint is that the leg is too long and when on the sidestand the bike is standing almost vertically . I cut a length off the leg and it now sits the bike at a safer angle . It may have been designed for a US model with tele forks .The standard BMW sidestand does not retract automatically and in the old days I forgot to flick it up resulting in a potential crash on the first left handed corner .

bstratton

I just ordered a replacement original style

Post by bstratton »

For my 65 R50/2.

I also looked at the style that mounts in place of the left side spacers. My original 14mm pin was intact so I decised on the original style. I like the simplicity. The only design flaw I see is the cotter pin that keeps it on the pivot pin is a weak spot. Mine had the old cotter pin still in it but it was obviously sheared off. MaxBMW has one in stock so I expect it to arrive tomorrow or Thursday. I'l let you know how it works.

I use my side stand all the time on my /5. I like the cool factor. Also, using a center stand at shows on anything but hard ground is tricky.
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

2wheelhobo

Thanks for the replires

Post by 2wheelhobo »

I agree, Bstratton, soft ground is an issue, and I refuse to carry a piece of wood to put under the centerstand, for the soft ground (i've seen others do that) Yep, another clear argument for a side stand.
Thank you all for your comments.
Pete
Near Nashville, TN

pokie

The stock side stand isn't

Post by pokie »

The stock side stand isn't great to begin with but if you kick the bike over while on the side stand, the stand will bend. The stock side stand pivot is threaded into the frame and if you forget to keep the pivot oiled, the pin will lock up on the stand and will start to unthread from the frame. There is also a washer and cotter pin in the end of the pivot the gets worn over time and may allow the stand to slip out farther than the stop. The stock stand is fine to prop the bike on but that's all. No sitting on the bike and no kick starting on the side stand.

I use a Flanders side stand on my bikes, it clamps to the frame just behind the swing arm. This stand was also supplied by Brown in later years. Either side stand you use, DON'T kick start on the side stand!

2wheelhobo

Stock side stand

Post by 2wheelhobo »

Thanks, Pokie, for your comments, and advice. I haven't yet got a side stand, but seriously considering one.
Pete
Near Nashville, TN

bstratton

New factory side stand

Post by bstratton »

I just installed a new stock sidestand. It came with a new pivot pin that screws into the frame. The pin has a smaller pin that extends off the end of the pivot pin. That extension causes the spring to be pushed out when the stand is deployed, which keeps it from detenting down, which turns it into a self retracting stand. took about 30 minutes to install and most of that time was spent chasing the threads on the frame. I also had to reduce the diameter of the new pin a bit to make the stand pivot easily. that just took a little 600 sandpaper. I have not had much of a chance to use it yet but I am happy with it so far.
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

2wheelhobo

Thanks,Bstratton! I

Post by 2wheelhobo »

Thanks,Bstratton! I appreciate the input.
Pete
Near Nashville, TN