If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1959 R60

Gossamer

lost ignition key

Post by Gossamer »

Ok it appears the chance is very high that the ignition key has long gone AWOL.

What kind of options do I have for those that have been down this route?

312Icarus

All /2 ignition keys are ALL

Post by 312Icarus »

All /2 ignition keys are ALL the same. A simple pointed key with a flange on it to turn on the head light. You can simply run a /2 by pushing a nail or a small stick in the ignition switch slot. You won’t have a head light but the engine will run. Or, you can simply undo the brown ground wire on the mag. The switch simply ungrounds the mag. Ignition keys are available from bluemoon or Vech or a number of others.

A fork lock or tank box key is a different matter, can be made with a competent lock smith. I think there is a simple ILCO blank that fits the fork lock. I have never used my fork lock.

Icarus

PS I lost my key while hiking deep up a logging road in the Cascade mountains back in the day. I found a stick to fit the hole, fire the bike up, and drove it 100 miles home. I got stopped by the cops for no headlight, but no ticket when I explained what happened.

miller6997

About those keys...

Post by miller6997 »

Just to add to the previous comment, the Neiman key blanks for the fork and tank locks are usually available on eBay. When I lost my original key, my local locksmith made a new one. Since that took half an hour of tedious work, he charged me sixty dollars or so, but then was able to charge it to my AAA membership.

And a footnote: My local dealer (Irv Seaver) has a huge ring of lost keys, accumulated over more than half a century in business. If you have the patience, you can try every one of them in your fork and if you find a match, it's quick and easy to make a copy. I don't know if other dealers do the same, but it's worth asking.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

Vech sells ignition keys on

Post by schrader7032 »

Vech sells ignition keys on his website for less than $20.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

kfelt

Gossamer...If you have not

Post by kfelt »

Gossamer...If you have not secured possession of this bike...do it...now! An opportunity not to be missed as others have said. A few pics of my R69. The first is when I got it. The others is how it looks now. Note the totally non stock high handlebars and rotten mufflers among other things. Without a total restoration, replacing a bunch of important parts, touching up painted parts and getting it running to be roadworthy, it was not a great financial burden. Not 100% correct but pretty close. Unbelievable joy to ride, would take anywhere. Just a suggestion but think about doing the minimum. A good cleaning of painted parts will do wonders. The tank, fenders and bags are original paint on mine. I still am amazed whenever I ride it (all the time) how great this bike runs. Good luck and keep the updates coming.

kfelt

Sorry, cannot for the life of

Post by kfelt »

Sorry, cannot for the life of me figure out how to post pics on this forum.

bstratton

pics

Post by bstratton »

Keith,
I haven't been able to post pics since the last server update. Others can but I can't. The only was I can do it is to put the pics out on a hosted site in the cloud like dropbox and then post a link to them.

Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

miller6997

Try thi8s...

Post by miller6997 »

If you use the first tab at the top of the message box (insert/edit image) it will only let you post a link to a picture stored somewhere else. But, if you use the "attach files" option below the message box, you can import a picture from your hard drive, provided it meets the specs spelled out in the instructions.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

kfelt

OK Skip, thanks. miller6997,

Post by kfelt »

OK Skip, thanks.

miller6997, tried the "choose file" below the message box originally and when I choose a pic it says "no file chosen" next to it. I will keep trying.

miller6997

Click!

Post by miller6997 »

Click on "Choose file" and it should open your directory so that you can select the picture(s) you want to upload. Works for me. Here's my selfie:
Attachments
kali_march_1_2014.jpg
kali_march_1_2014.jpg (503.62 KiB) Viewed 2671 times
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California