If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1959 R60

Gossamer

Re: 1959 R60

Post by Gossamer »

I'm not sure I can give an honest opinion with the Ikon. I never rode this bike, or anything comparable in age so I don't really have a baseline.

The guy that's been the most helpful to me recommended these as a little better than a stock replacement for road feel and the fact that I'm a taller/bigger guy.

I don't have any real body work skills, there are a few minor dents that should be addressed but it's outside of my skillset.

I can paint pretty well with a rattle can, but as much as I've put into the resto, not sure it deserves a half ass paint job.

Hoping I can find someone reasonable, my highest quote so far was $2400 which to me seems out of the norm.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

I agree that $2400 is plenty for the tins only. But, just for fun, I got quotes from a couple of the biggies in the business. $6500 for just the tins. For that money, I would expect that the painter would supply mint tins and the paintwork! But there are obviously guys out there that will pay it.

I sourced my paintwork locally, using single-stage paint, and am thrilled with the two restorations I've done. I don't have $1500 total in both complete bike's paintwork and striping. Disclaimer: My brother-in-law did the bulk of the work. The striping ran $350 for my R50 and will be about $400 for the R69 (that's all there is left to do on it). I'd put my bodywork up against anyone's.

Point is that you can find a painter local to you that can do a fine paint job quite reasonably, you just have to search out a good striper and pay him what he wants.
Dave

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Just FYI, I recently restored a R69S and took it to a very good painter and striper here locally. BOTH the painter and striper have done a good amount of work on Vintage BMWs for years, thanks to the collectors in the area, and they know exactly what to do.

Paint cost $2,500 - Fenders, Tank, Headlight bucket, Headlight ears, tail-light and a few other small parts and pieces.
Striping cost $500

I will say that it came out as perfect as possible and it is show quality, 100%. BTW, its not that hard to get the newer paints to look like the older single stage ones. Mine is glossy, but not overly so. You need to get someone who knows what they are doing, and knows why.

If you do want a great paint job there is no need to pay $6,500.....
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi James-
Not sure I can give a valid opinion on the Ikon shock either, but opine away I will nonetheless..

What one prefers in a shock is quite subjective.
For me, riding a /2 is not about continuous high speed travel, whether solo or s/c, I'd be on a different machine if that was the intention.
The stock Boge was an outstanding shock back when they were current, and their longevity has been well proven, I'm still using some originals; but the Boge can run out of performance when really pushed hard on challenging roads, though that's not how folks generally ride the /2.

Ikon, I believe is meant to be an anagram of Koni, a name for the post-Koni ownership of their motorcycle shock line.

For myself, I installed Koni shocks all four corners of my R69 in (I think) 1974.
That bike was in process of being converted to full time sidecar use.
Test road it solo after installation, and the ride was harsh compared to the stock Boge shocks.
Removed them to see if they were accidentally on a stiff setting, but they all proved to be at the lightest adjustment.
They performed quite well as part of the s/c rig, (heavier) and here we are 45 years later and everything on the rig has been rebuilt at least once with the exception of the shocks, they're still going strong and still on the softest setting.

So my opinion is, if the Ikon is the same shock as the Koni of long ago, it is inappropriately harsh for normal /2 solo riding.

Best-
George

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

George,

Thank you, that is what I had heard in the past as well. As I don't drag a sidecar aroundI thin I will be staying with the originals! :D

James
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Gossamer

Post by Gossamer »

paint and striping is done.

Did some of the legwork myself and saved myself about $300 on the original quote.

Anywhere I can cut some costs i'm happy

Only issue I'm having now is the lock on the gas tank.

I bought a new lockset, riveted it in, closed the door and it wouldn't open again. So i had to drill out carefully as possible to get the door open. Downside is now rivets won't catch the outer door. So I may end up using the oversized washers with rivets. Not a big deal since you don't see them under the knee pads anyhow

Using bolts now for the lock hoping i'd get a little more adjustment out of the lock.

Not sure if there's too much paint on the tank tab or the lock mechanism isn't quite up to snuff and i need to shave it down.
Attachments
20201203_173145.jpg
20201203_173142.jpg
20201203_173137.jpg
20201201_170306.jpg
20210207_152234.jpg
20210207_152225.jpg
20210207_152220.jpg
20210129_180116.jpg