If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Who should I send my tank and fenders to for pinstriping, No. Calif.

rimcanyon

Who should I send my tank and fenders to for pinstriping, No. Calif.

Post by rimcanyon »

I'm sending my fenders and tank out to be powder coated this week. Looking for recommendations for someone to do the pinstriping when I get them back, hopefully close by so I can drop them off. I live in Salinas, CA but anywhere in the SF Bay Area would work.

-Dave

Twocams

Scottie'S Work Shop. Says

Post by Twocams »

Scottie'S Work Shop. Says they do pin striping. Santa Clara, Calif. Are you sure you want to powder coat the tank. Seems like it would be harder to pin strip? Yes they work on Vintage BMW.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

rimcanyon

why is powder coat harder to

Post by rimcanyon »

why is powder coat harder to pinstripe?

Twocams

Im the wrong guy to ask that

Post by Twocams »

Im the wrong guy to ask that question. I have only had a few things powder coated. My center stand,side stand and 4 foot pegs on my R69.
But it is thick and shinny and not sure how well they would take to being painted?

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S

Daves79x

Please Don't

Post by Daves79x »

Please don't powder coat your tins. If you get a chip (and you will) it is really hard to touch up without showing, but more importantly, if you (or a subsequent owner) ever want to strip the tins, it will be a nightmare. I had a badly-powder coated frame and forks sand-blast stripped and it took a professional almost 6 hours - which is insane for a 2-hour job. Not to mention if you get a less-than-acceptable job, then you are in a pickle.

Single-stage paint that you can wet sand and hand rub, and touch up if needed, is much more preferred.

Dave
Dave

stagewex

What he said, ditto I have a

Post by stagewex »

What he said, ditto
I have a lot of powder coated bolt-on accessories and parts done on various bikes. But not the tin.
Don't do it, the first time there os a chip or scratch:
#1) impossible to paint match. There is no such thing as spot powdercoating. Its the whole thing or nothing.
#2) if you do not take care of a scratch or chip right away rusting begins "under" th powder coat. Where you can't see it.

Ural started to powedercoat entire bikes in 2013. By 2016 they went back to paint. Lesson learned.
Yeah, it's durable... until it ain't.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

rimcanyon

The problem with having it

Post by rimcanyon »

The problem with having it painted is the difficulty of controlling the end result. My powder coater on the other hand has done many parts for me as part of a Porsche 356 restoration, and his work has been 100% to my satisfaction. If I tell him not to bead blast machined surfaces, he doesn't. He will mask according to instructions and can handle complicated parts (e.g. assemblies of parts, like an axle tube with the side flange loose on the tube, side flange painted only on one side, lots of machined surfaces at the wheel end). Color and gloss is exactly what I ask for and it is repeatable. My results from painters has never been consistent or predictable. I've had paint jobs come back with overspray, powdered surfaces, bondo dust in the paint, insufficient surface prep, poor color match to existing paint, paint that ages differently than the original, you name it.

Regarding touchup of minor chips on powder coated parts, you can get some of the powder used for the original, dissolve it in a solvent and paint it on using a brush. That's not a lot different from repairing painted surfaces.

miller6997

Depends on what your goal is.

Post by miller6997 »

You have good reasons for sticking with powder coat, but in my opinion the finish you get will never duplicate the original Glasurit finish on these bikes. The problem, of course, is that it can be insanely expensive to get it done "right."
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Twocams

My next move would be to find

Post by Twocams »

My next move would be to find someone that will pin strip on powder coating. Before I got the coating done. There maybe only 10 people that pin strip? And 2 that would consider.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S

hooverbj

The previous owner of my bike

Post by hooverbj »

The previous owner of my bike said it was painted Glasurit black. What is that?