If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Coker tires, has anyone tried these?

stagewex

I don't really know anyone

Post by stagewex »

I don't really know anyone personally that has Coker's but they do have that "look" all the car show guys like. Probably best to "show" only if you are talking about 2-wheels. Safety has to be more than looks if you really ride your bike.

About the Heid's... a fantastic long wearing road tire but be forewarned that they have one really odd quirk... they will scare the crap out of you on any type of "rain grooves". Open steel grating on a bridge too. The rear-end will squirrel away/back-and-forth under the calmest of throttle. I'm okay with it now because I know and can be prepared to gingerly control the bike.
It may be a combination of the bikes fault too because it is being mated with a tire design from that era.
Like why BMW finally extended the wheel base on /5's in 1973 (LWB models). Say this with all seriousness and you can look this issue up on this or other forums.
If I am planning a trip where I know there are going to be sustained rain grooves (by me that is the Tappan Zee Bridge) I'll make sure to navigate a completely different route. Or just ride another bike.

I have a set on my r60/2. Ironically from MAX in Brookfield too (great dealership and shop). I can't wait for them to wear out but at about 4000 miles on then they still look new, have hardly worn at all and look great. If you do get them it's just good to know ahead of time so it doesn't surprise you when something like that comes up. Construction groove too.

I have Heidenau K37's on my Ural sidecar rig. Fantastic off-road tires. Really a tough tire to change if you happen to do that yourself. Sidewalls are like steel.
Couple pix of Heids on my /2 and a new K37 on the Ural before and after a "pusher" (rear drive wheel) tire change:

Attachments
img_4418.jpg
img_4418.jpg (232.21 KiB) Viewed 803 times
img_4423.jpg
img_4423.jpg (293.08 KiB) Viewed 803 times
img_3527.jpg
img_3527.jpg (230.6 KiB) Viewed 803 times
img_0176.jpg
img_0176.jpg (382.87 KiB) Viewed 803 times
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L