If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Backfire through carb

The Plunger

Backfire through carb

Post by The Plunger »

I revisited my running issue (see R67/2 progress thread). I replaced the carbs and it is still backfiring through the RHC carb. The left runs great but the right putt-putts back through so it isn't a carb issue. At start-up, smoke puffs out at carb flange so I took off the head to see if I had a sticking lifter...nope. It starts easily enough but gas (exhaust?) feels like it is puffing out the bottom of the carb but that is impossible so it's coming through the gasket between the head and the carb. I took off the carb and sanded a very slight warp out but that did not change anything. I suddenly now have a rotational noise when increasing throttle. CRAP!!!
I'm at a loss here. Here are the facts:

Plenty of fuel is getting to carbs
static timing has been verified at least four times
valves have been checked the same
Runs great on LHC only
Will not run on RHC only
The RHC is hotter and noisier

What, mechanically can cause this? If the cam timing is perfect on the LHC, when rotated 180 degrees, it should be so on the RHC, correct?

Brian
Brian
59-69

The Plunger

Ack! After asking my friend

Post by The Plunger »

Ack! After asking my friend Tony about the problem he suggested a head gasket leak. Sure as shootin', the new gasket has the paper burned off down to the metal 'wafflle' layer about the size of a dime and the head shows signs of exhaust leakage, PLUS IT'S RIGHT AT THE INTAKE! So, sanded the head face to true it up as well as the cylinder face. Now I have to get some new gaskets. BTW, is there a correct side of the gasket to face outward? And what's the rotation sound?
Brian
59-69

schrader7032

I'm not sure about bikes this

Post by schrader7032 »

I'm not sure about bikes this old, but on my /7, the head gasket can only go one way. The way I can tell is that the wrong way covers up some of the opening in the cylinder for the pushrod tubes to fit through. Maybe something similar works for the plungers??
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

The Plunger

Kurt, nope, either face can

Post by The Plunger »

Kurt, nope, either face can be out. I'll ask Vech when I order.
Brian
59-69

Daves79x

Your Sound

Post by Daves79x »

Your sound is likely the 'woosh, woosh' of the compression blowing past the leaking gasket. Fix that and you'll be good.

Dave
Dave

The Plunger

OK, the never ending

Post by The Plunger »

OK, the never ending nightmare continues. Got my new gasket on, head and valves on and adjusted, mounted the carb and tried to fire her up. Nothing. Pulled the plugs and checked for spark - NONE! WTF?! The only thing I did electrically in the interim was tighten up a loose kill switch wire (blk/red) because I hadn't been able to shut down via the spike and I charged the battery whilst in the bike. Now, no spark. Did I fry the coil or capacitor by trickle charging? It seems improbable. All the other electrical stuff associated with the battery are working perfectly, but... any thoughts?
Brian
59-69

wa1nca

Did I fry the coil or capacitor by trickle charging?

Post by wa1nca »

No
The charging system is independent of the mag for the spark
Maybe undo the last thing you did for the spark
Disconnect the blk/red wire and try it again

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

The Plunger

This is getting silly. I

Post by The Plunger »

This is getting silly. I tried just that after posting and it magically came back! Decided to run her around the block on her maiden voyage to see if she'd even move. A few issues remain. The charge light stays on and the intermittent whine is still present. I Guess the next step is to take off the magneto and generator and work through those. Hopefully it's not deeper, as this is a Gunther Wurst built motor and gearbox. I swear, this chasing ghosts crap is not what I wanted in this hobby!
Brian
59-69

808Airhead

There are always bugs to sort

Post by 808Airhead »

There are always bugs to sort out. Enjoy the challenge
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

The Plunger

The howl

Post by The Plunger »

Well, here is the awful noise coming from my brand new rebuilt motor...anybody heard this sound before who can offer me a clue as to what and where it's coming from? Does it sounds louder on the right side, or am I nuts.

https://youtu.be/B5AseA8M-yA
Brian
59-69