If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New to the forum, with a question or two

stagewex

Adding a sidecar to one of

Post by stagewex »

Adding a sidecar to one of these antiques will be fine as long as it is done proper. And you have the correct gearbox for it. Cant be just because you have the sidecar lugs on the side of the frame.
If you have the $$$ an already completed one will save you time but they can be spendy.
There is going to be cost either way. I agree, just get a Ural. I own a 2WD model and it's been a blast. Extremely similar to my /2.
10 years of smiles. And believe me... having "REVERSE" on any sidecar rig is an incredible asset.

You can get in rather inexpensively used... 2006 thru 2013 are sweet used years.
They did a major efi (and other) upgrade in 2014. Like BMW in the early 90's there are growing pains with EFI and some of the other upgrades. Go hang out on the Soviet Steeds website. Usually a good deal to two comes up every month on their classifieds where you can view and talk about owner history. Don't buy from a dealer of blindly from fleabay. Good bunch over there on SS.

Attachments
img_3013.jpg
img_3013.jpg (288.85 KiB) Viewed 799 times
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

oldnslo

german models, not U.S.

Post by oldnslo »

The designation R50US (or R60US, R69US) just means that the bike has the telescopic fork front end subsequently used on the /5 bikes from 1970-on, not the Earles fork. I believe these bikes were available only for 2 years, '68 and '69.The frames have no sidecar mounting lugs and they are not suitable for sidecar conversion. All are still German made. Having ridden both, I think the US telescopic bikes are better handling and actually better looking with a cleaner front end (no flame storm please!)

Adam