If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Removing bar end turn signals

stagewex

True. The high bars were

Post by stagewex »

True. The high bars were shipped on all '68's & 69's on the US Models (thus US High bars).
When I first bought my bike it came with the low Euro bars. Really looks fantastic but for comfort I switched back to the high US bars. really made for a somewhat bigger cockpit position for me not leaning forward (down) all the time. That was fine around town but when I take her on 150+ mile day rides the ergonomics have to be as comfortable as possible. Besides, it restored the original shipped look to the bike as well. But I know folks that have done the opposite (hi to low bars) and like that better.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

schrader7032

The background on my R69S is

Post by schrader7032 »

The background on my R69S is that it was purchased by a US serviceman in Germany. It was ridden over there then shipped back to the US. I suspect that the original owner opted for US bars at time of purchase and the dealer obliged. I prefer riding behind a fairing (my /7 and my R69S) so sitting more upright has always worked for me.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

hooverbj

Thanks everyone, I managed

Post by hooverbj »

Thanks everyone,
I managed to get the old high bars off without breaking the clamps. They seemed to be more pliable than I imagined.

But I did manage to break both bar end signals...I'm sure they were Chinese, not Hella...I cracked one of the slotted tabs on the left signal. On the other, the small plastic cylinder that holds the electrical contact came undone and I fiddled with it to realize that there was a small brass connector inside with a set screw that holds the wire in place. I redid that with a miniature screwdriver and when I went to reassemble the tab no longer sprung back and forth. When I put the spring in first followed by the plastic tab, it just jammed in place and no longer moved, and thus couldn't hold the bulb in place without the proper tension. I'm looking to purchase new ones now. I see some original Hella ones going for $179 on Ebay. I'm sure mine were knock-offs. however the cheap ones come pre-wired. My problems occurred, because I was attempting to re-wire my old ones and was using miniature screwdrivers to do the work. I would rather not go down that path again.
I also have to replace all my cables with shorter ones now.
Despite all that... I am ticked with the new lower bars!

skychs

Cables

Post by skychs »

I hope your comment about being ticked is a positive one and not ticked off ??

This may help for the install.

http://www.benchmarkworks.com/articles/ ... ignal.html

Capital Cycle sells a complete cable set for around $75.00.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

hooverbj

Skychs, What I meant to say

Post by hooverbj »

Skychs,
What I meant to say was tickled--Lick ha, ha...very happy!