If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R67/2 progress

The Plunger

R67/2 progress

Post by The Plunger »

Hey all,
Things are progressing rapidly now and I reached a significant point in the rebuild today by getting the motor, gearbox and final drive installed! I'm learning a lot with this build which will make my R51/3 much easier next year. I have nearly the rest of this year off while I recover from a hip replacement, which really helps on getting projects done. I hope to have it running by Halloween and on the road by Thanksgiving.

Brian
Attachments
r67_2.jpg
r67_2.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 2487 times
Brian
59-69

stagewex

Looks really nice.

Post by stagewex »

Looks really nice.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

oldtimers.si

great another BMW R67/2

Post by oldtimers.si »

hi,Brian
nice , what year is your bike ?

here is my link
BMW R67/2 1953 foto

now i buy some engine and gearbox new parts

its great winter project :)

BR ,Mec

The Plunger

Mec, Thanks, It's a '52.

Post by The Plunger »

Mec,

Thanks, It's a '52. You've got some work to do changing out a motor! Mine had all the hard work done, I just had to spend a bunch of money to gather up the missing parts and assemble it.
Brian
59-69

The Plunger

Well, I got her done

Post by The Plunger »

Well, I got her done yesterday and tried to start her...nothing but a few pops and wheezes. Fiddled with mixture, idle, cables and floats. Still nothing. Checked spark for the third time, checked static timing, point gap and valves for the third time. I walked away after 4 hours furious and frustrated. The next morning I started over with a clean slate and put fresh 91 octane and changed plugs, changed the points and replaced the coil and eventually and got it to fire up and run for about a minute. Sounded good but since I forgot to re-open the petcock she died. Now I got her!, I was beaming. Tickled her carbs and nothing. The language coming from the garage was not for the faint of heart and I'm glad the wife and kids weren't home. I spent the next 6 hours on and off trying to get her going with no luck. Took the carbs off, as I believe this is a fuel issue, and rechecked assembly. They both have all new parts so I can't figure it out. Reinstalled the carbs and...nothing. What am I missing? I've got good, timely spark, air and hopefully fuel. I'm this close to taking a sledge hammer to her and lighting her up!

Seriously PO'd
Brian
59-69

808Airhead

When it dies,immediately turn

Post by 808Airhead »

When it dies,immediately turn off the petcock and look in a floatbowl and see how much fuel is in there. Then check the carb settings. These are very sensitive when it comes to carb settings.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

The Plunger

Thomas, believe me, I've

Post by The Plunger »

Thomas, believe me, I've tried 1/2, 1, 1 1/2, 2, 2 1/2 and 3 turns on the mixture screw and none seem to change anything. The floats are working too. For being such simple devices they sure are frustrating. My mixture screws have little screws, or threaded plugs inside and I can't fathom their function.
Brian
59-69

Daves79x

Coil

Post by Daves79x »

Did you replace the coil with a new one? Or just another one? I'd suspect that first. Otherwise, if your carbs are set to anywhere near stock settings, turn the idle screws until they touch the slides, then two more turns each, just to give you some idle as a baseline. Then don't tickle them too much - they flood easily. If you find it does not start on the first couple of kicks, hold the throttle wide open as it's likely flooded. Good luck!

Oh, and run a non-waxed piece of cardboard sprayed with contact cleaner through the points.

Dave
Dave

The Plunger

Dave, I put in a new coil

Post by The Plunger »

Dave,
I put in a new coil and new points, just to see if it changed anything. The original coil and points seemed to spark off just fine. It's got to be a fuel issue. It's not flooding as the plugs aren't saturated. As I said, it started and ran fine for about a minute and then ran out of fuel and wouldn't restart. Today I'm going to meditate, take deep, calming breaths and try again. I still don't know if my mixture screw is correct. What is the little screw plug within for? My cut away drawing and parts list of Bing carbs does not show it exists. Is it supposed to be hollow and allow air from the outside in?
Brian
59-69

wa1nca

What is the little screw plug within for?

Post by wa1nca »

Is it supposed to be hollow and allow air from the outside in?

I think your carbs have been modified with a vacume port
They should be capped off during normal use
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA