If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Advice for someone looking (Update: New owner)

watson

Welcome to the forum, I went

Post by watson »

Welcome to the forum, I went through a similar search a few months ago and I was lucky enough to find a Granada Red 69 R60/2 that I love. If you get to the Monterey area, we have the largest motorcycle museum on the west coast, over 175 bikes, in Carmel Valley. We also happen to have a 63 R60/2 for sale. We rarely sell motorcycles but we have been growing a lot lately and we have to sell a few of our duplicate bikes to make some room. If you are interested, I can send you the details or you can see it on our web site at: Mototalbott.com. On the site, it shows the bike with a side car but we sold that to a local /2 owner. The museum is worth the trip even if you don't buy the bike. I am a docent in the museum and I would love to give anyone here a tour of the collection. Good luck with your search.

Doc

312Icarus

Keep the Tii! Keep looking,

Post by 312Icarus »

Keep the Tii! Keep looking, a /2 will find you.

Welcome and keep in touch,

Icarus

Transcon

Thanks guys, got in touch

Post by Transcon »

Thanks guys, got in touch with Doc and looking forward to getting some more info on their /2. Not to worry 312Icarus, Tii is going nowhere. Just trying to find it a complementary stablemate

312Icarus

For a while I had a stable

Post by 312Icarus »

For a while I had a stable full of 1600s/2002s. I finally sold the last one a few years ago. Sort of wish I still had it, but never drove it much anymore. I then passed through a fleet of Porsches, 68 soft window targa, 75 912E and a 911SC. Wish I had kept the SC as well.

Now just a Subaru and the R50/2 that Ihave had since ~1979

Icarus

JakeF

Where to look

Post by JakeF »

If you are in SoCal as in Southern California, and Orange County in particular, then a great place to start meeting other vintage bike owners is the monthly OC Vintage Bike meet up in Huntington Beach. There usually are a few BMW bikes each time and you can put the word out that you are looking. Check out their site for details.

www.vintagebikeoc.com

JakeF
1956 R69, 1976 R90S, 2008 R1200GS

Transcon

Thanks for all the great

Post by Transcon »

Thanks for all the great advice from everyone on here. Doc, I appreciate you taking the time to send me the info on the /2 you guys have...still would like to make a trip up to Carmel and check out the museum.

Good news is I found a bike. After looking at a number of bikes I found one here in SoCal that had been meticulously restored by its former owner who also happens to work at the BMW MC dealership I've bought bikes from. I feel lucky to have purchased from someone who is not only a walking encyclopedia of knowledge but one you could tell genuinely put love and care into the build. When we finally settled on a price and it was the moment of sale I could see that it was like watching his first born pull away. Best part for me is that we live close enough and he has agreed to act as an advisor as I learn about the bike and get into working on it myself. Just had dad down for the holiday and he took her out for a spin, first time he has ridden one since selling his in the early 80's. Just the smile on his face made it all worthwhile. Took some garage time and went through every surface to pull out some slight paint imperfections and get to know the bike only sitting hands on it will allow you to....seems to be a bit of a ritual for me with every machine I buy. Im sure Ill have plenty of questions for the group and look forward to being part of the community.

Just took her for a 300 mile ride this weekend and still have the smile plastered to my face.

Attachments
img_3207.jpeg
img_3207.jpeg (9.83 MiB) Viewed 2384 times

Transcon

Advice for someone looking (Update: New owner)

Post by Transcon »

Gents, been lurking on this site for the past 6 months and finally decided to sign up and solicit some advice. One of my fondest childhood memories was riding around San Francisco on the back of my dads 1967 R60/2. Gave me the love of motorcycles which has carried thru for the past 30 years since I started riding myself. Aside from modern track/touring bikes I took on a 72' Norton basket case and spent 2 years learning how to put it all back together. Recently sold it to a guy who flagged me down on the Pacific Coast Highway and had to have it, making me an offer I couldn't refuse. I've been big into the vintage BMW automotive scene for years and still have my 1st car (74' 2002Tii) and just did a European delivery on an M2...guess you could say Im a brand loyalist.

All this got me thinking that I would like to find another R60/2 to hopefully share some of the great memories I have with others. Admittedly, thou I'm not a novice with motorcycles I am fairly naive when it comes to vintage BMW's. Been scouring ads for months waiting for something to come up but see values all over the place. Not looking for an absolute show bike as this would be meant as a rider to cruise up and down the coast and thru the canyons. Also not looking to take on another basket case as, as much as I enjoyed my time with the Norton, I learned to buy the most complete bike you could find and go from there.

Figured I'd throw out a hello and see if anyone has any leads or knows of a bike that might fit what Im looking for as well as any input/advice you all may have. Located in SoCal if there happens to be anyone local on here.

bstratton

Shes a beauty!

Post by bstratton »

Shes a beauty! Congrats!

Gives me inspiration to get my project bike done. Same bike. Bought it from the daughter of the PO after a "rest" in the barn for about 38 years. I want to set her up just like that. Just started so the money spending phase is in full swing right now. Even though I probably paid far less for mine I bet the cost will be close to yours by the time I am done. The process is a big part of the value for me. I love bringing these old girls back to their stunning form. It enhances the riding experience for me. And here in MA it gives me something bike related to do during the winter.
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

stagewex

Nice and congrats.I and I'm

Post by stagewex »

Nice and congrats.
I and I'm sure I can speak of others about the ritual" of getting aquatinted. First service/oil change/cleaning/wax/etc.
Even if it's brand-new it ain't really yours until you do some of this stuff.
For an older vintage bike you have the aded sensation of "wow, with all its history and years, this bike belongs to me now".

Enjoy.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L