If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Possible next project - my first /2

bstratton

Finally got the chance to

Post by bstratton »

Finally got the chance to take a look. Nice complete bike that has been sitting in the garage for at least 10 years. Here's what I found:

Rust is heavy - the garage is about 100 feet from Plymouth Harbor (Massachusetts)
Bike is 100% complete and original. Looks like it was ridden into the garage and then not touched.
High handlebars and bench seat. Seat is in remarkably good condition
Gas was drained when put away. The inside of the tank is pristine. Nice red coating. no deterioration, rust or dirt
Condition of frame, tank headlight bucket and fenders is essentially perfect except for the paint. small dent in the chrome headlight ring.
All the lenses for the lights are intact
Paint (black) isn't bad except for frame (lots of surface rust)
Rubbers are remarkably good except missing rubber on shifter
both brakes operate easily, throttle moves easily, clutch operates
tires hold air but will need to be replaced. spokes are rusty
oil looks like it was changed when put up. like new. motor turns over easily. there is compression (by feel - didn't do a compression check)
shifter operates and it feels like it is changing gears but I can operate the kick start in any gear with no movement of the rear wheel.
Factory handlebar reflectors
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
1982 Honda Goldwing GL1100 Interstate
MA

bstratton

hit save too fast Factory

Post by bstratton »

hit save too fast

Factory handlebar reflectors (I meant bar end hellas) to use the correct term
Numbers match and it is indeed an R50
The rear facing directionals may be add-ons but they are old and actually look pretty cool

Here's the best part - I got it for $2,500. First offer. I think they just want to get rid of it because they have so much else to deal with.

I should have it Monday, weather permitting (I have an open trailer)

Can't wait to get my hands on this little beauty! I am tempted to just clean it up real good and make it street worthy and leave it at that. It's that complete and original.

I'll have lots of questions. I'm counting on you guys!
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
MA

The Plunger

Cool, you got in at a good

Post by The Plunger »

Cool, you got in at a good price an you'll need that cushion for what you'll spend in parts to still be above water when it's done. Good luck!
Brian
59-69

Daves79x

Congrats!

Post by Daves79x »

You did indeed get 'in' at a good price. Yes, these can be money pits, most of us keep rough track of expenses, for a while! Then it's just a labor of love and in the end you'll have a bike you can enjoy and be proud of. More pics when you can!

Dave
Dave

skychs

Nice

Post by skychs »

Very nice. It will be a labor of love and you will enjoy "almost" every minute of it. Strip it down to the frame. Get it painted/powder coated and have fun. Congrats.
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

bstratton

That's the plan... I will do

Post by bstratton »

That's the plan... I will do the paint (except pinstriping) myself. I did it on my 71 and it came out great. I have access to a professional paint booth so that makes it a lot easier and there is a gentleman close by who can freehand the pinstripes for a couple hundred bucks.

First question for those with experience with this: Should I stay with the 6 volt system or convert to 12

I'll have the bike Sunday and will share some pics before I start tearing it down.
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
MA

stagewex

You can upgrade to a 12 volt

Post by stagewex »

You can upgrade to a 12 volt PowerDynao system for I'm guessing $800.00+. Lot of folks have done it here.
You do not have to hack anything up to do this which is a big plus for keeping everything else original. Basically you could "go back" if you or a future buyer wanted to. Make sure you save all the original 6 volt parts.

Carefully inspect the original harness to make sure it's ok whether you stay 6v or go 12v. Mice love to eat that stuff.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

Wayne J in MA

pinstriping

Post by Wayne J in MA »

I am also in the Boston area. I would love to have the contact info for your pinstriper.
'62 R69S, '71 R75/5 SWB, '78 R100S Motorsport
Westwood, MA USA

skychs

LED's

Post by skychs »

That's the plan... I will do the paint (except pinstriping) myself. I did it on my 71 and it came out great. I have access to a professional paint booth so that makes it a lot easier and there is a gentleman close by who can freehand the pinstripes for a couple hundred bucks.

First question for those with experience with this: Should I stay with the 6 volt system or convert to 12

I'll have the bike Sunday and will share some pics before I start tearing it down.

A lot of guys upgrade to the 12v system because of the lights. I simply switched to LED's. Its a lot less expensive and they really do make a difference.

I just restored an R60/2. Here is the link to that build.

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/14004
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

bstratton

Wayne - I need to go back and

Post by bstratton »

Wayne - I need to go back and try to find my pin striper's contact info. I found him on another web site that had a link from this one but I remember it was a convoluted process to get to him. He lives in Newburyport. Stay tuned. I'll find it but it may take a little while.

Skychs - So you simply installed 6V LEDs. Didn't know those existed...
Bstratton
1971 R60/5
1965 R50/2
MA