If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rim chrome replating services

morrison830

Rim chrome replating services

Post by morrison830 »

Apologies in advance if this subject has been previously discussed. Would appreciate having your recommendations (preferably by way of actual, personal experience) for someone who could strip off old chrome and re-plate original rims on a R50/2 (perhaps some light cosmetic restoration, but nothing seriously damaged nor bent). Not looking for concours level of work....not a "hack job" either. Just looking for a good result at a reasonable price. I am in Texas, but would certainly consider out-of-state. Thanks...Marc Morrison
1965 BMW R50/2
1997 Moto Guzzi Cali 1100 (75th Anniv.)

schrader7032

Try using the search box in

Post by schrader7032 »

Try using the search box in the upper left. I put in "chroming" and saw a few past threads that might be helpful. You could also try plating, replating, etc., as search terms.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

morrison830

Kurt...thanks for pointing me

Post by morrison830 »

Kurt...thanks for pointing me to the "search box"....duh!!! Doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on the "who or where" part of my question....of course, I knew the $$$ issue already. I'll continue with further investigation. Question....have you (or anyone else for that matter) seen any rims with a "chrome like" powder coat....would consider that as a last resort option???
1965 BMW R50/2

miller6997

Shouldn't be difficult

Post by miller6997 »

Any competent plating shop should be able to handle the job, No? Vintage or custom car clubs should be able to steer you to one. Or hang out with the Harley guys!
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

morrison830

All agreed, but specifically,

Post by morrison830 »

All agreed, but specifically, WHO is competent; the Harley guys I know in this part of Texas don't recommend any replaters in this part of the country (including the DFW and Houston metro areas, but, perhaps they seek a higher level of competence....something akin to "walking on water"). No joking here...I run with the Porsche 356 guys, the usual Ford/Chevy/Mopar guys and have not had one of them recommend a replater in Texas.
1965 BMW R50/2

Twocams

Thought I read somewhere that

Post by Twocams »

Thought I read somewhere that they had trouble with rechroming their wheels. And didnt advise? Thing is you have to remove the spokes and just chrome the wheel. I bought 2 new chrome rims for $500 stamped Germany inside with the dimples. Sure you can buy the best of the best for $1600. Only got them cause my rims weren't chrome and the price was right.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

morrison830

The spokes will be taken out

Post by morrison830 »

The spokes will be taken out and replaced after replating (probably with stainless steel). IF these rims cannot be successfully replated, I'd like to hear that from an experienced replater before I pull the trigger. If that is the case, I suppose my next option would be to find German made rims which replicate the originals...I'm familiar with the cheaper repros and would not consider that as an option.
1965 BMW R50/2

Captonzap

Looking at it from a plater's

Post by Captonzap »

Looking at it from a plater's point of view, re chroming spoked rims is a losing proposition, unless you are doing it on a time and material basis, for someone who states that cost is no object.
Plating involves using abrasives to smooth the surface, and is done with abrasive wheels, usually cloth, charged with coarse abrasive first, and then wheels with finer and finer abrasives embedded in the wheels. The wheels are usually 8 inch or larger, and a couple of inches wide. On large smooth surfaces, the process is fairly straight forward, and doesn't require a lot of time to smooth the surface.
Unfortunately, when the rim with the spoke nipple protrusions is used with those wheels, the top of the protrusion is abraded away, thinning the metal that the spoke pulls against, and the result is that the ability of the protrusion to retain the spoke is compromised. ( The spoke pulls through under a load)
The plating process usually entails three buffing processes One, the "clean the major irregularities off, copper plate to fill the pits, buff that to smooth it to a shine, plate with nickel, then buff that to a shine , and plate with the chrome.
Each time the wheels are applied, the top of the protrusions are abraded, if done with the standard mops. ( jargon for abrasive wheels).
If the customer will be willing to bear the expense, the plater can employ small wheels, on a flexible hand piece, and polish around all the protrusion. Now you are getting into the provenance of jewelers. Not that they are paid more than buffers, but it is still a protracted process, and time is money.
Then the next problem is that some buffers are not that motivated, and in spite of the plater's instructions, and being paid by the piece, usually, they are more interested in getting the thing smooth, no matter how thin the top of the protrusions get. Who is going to measure to see how much the tops were thinned?
Some plater's will plate rims if they are told not to buff or polish the dropped portion of the rim, that you are going to paint the center, to mimic the original factory finishing method.
Then, the painter is faced with the same problem as the plater. Smoothing the primer to produce a smooth paint coat. If you are the painter, you will appreciate the problem of sanding around all those bumps and curved surfaces.
So don't be to disgruntled with the plater's, they are just trying to remain profitable and in business.
CZ

lauffer6996

Call Perry Bushong at Perry's

Post by lauffer6996 »

Call Perry Bushong at Perry's Sidecars in DFW, hw will know who to go to in central texas.
Scott

morrison830

I really appreciate all of

Post by morrison830 »

I really appreciate all of the info with regard to the replating challenges.......most of which I did not know, but will certainly make me a more informed consumer. I'll get in touch with the DFW guy and see what comes of that. IF I don't get good "vibes" from a legitimate plater, I may just pursue the other options (i.e. good, used original rims or one of the better quality repros). Thanks to all
1965 BMW R50/2