If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

fork lock stuck

lauffer6996

fork lock stuck

Post by lauffer6996 »

Happy new year.

I have just acquired a '67 R50/2 project. The fork is locked and the Niemann key that came with the bike (I think it is the original key) simply will not open the lock. I have read Duane's article on fork locks. Is there any reason why his method of drilling out the lock wouldn't work on one that is in the locked state? Would I want to drill in the same spot Duane describes, even when it is in the locked position?

thanks,
Scott

http://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/lock/index.htm

schrader7032

Have you tried his

Post by schrader7032 »

Have you tried his suggestions on lock picking? Never did it myself, but they do it all the time on TV! :D

I'm trying to understand how the lock works. So, when you put the key in, do you push and then turn the key or do you turn the key and then push? From Duane's pictures, it seems that the flats on the locking mechanism are supposed to go into a square slot in the steering stem tube.

If you read his step number 1, he says that you must turn the key to the 10 o'clock position to pull the lock mechanism out, once the outside cover is removed. In his picture, that screw head is in about the 2 o'clock position, which to me suggests that his picture shows a locked cylinder. I'm thinking his web page is for removing a cylinder that is locked and a key doesn't work on it. Otherwise, if the key worked, you remove the cover, turn the key to 10 o'clock and the cylinder just comes out due to the spring force.

That's my reading.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

808Airhead

Drill that sucker out! Just

Post by 808Airhead »

Drill that sucker out! Just follow the directions carefully! I did it and it worked for my bike which was missing the key.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

lauffer6996

thanks

Post by lauffer6996 »

thanks, will do.
Scott