If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Retouch or repaint?

Can

Ok Dear Arturo. I can't wait

Post by Can »

Ok Dear Arturo. I can't wait to see the photos. Good job. The Best you have done so far I've checked all the photos.

San Arthur

Help with race bearings

Post by San Arthur »

Decision time here, too. This is the lower, inside ball bearing race should be removed before painting.
The race is corroded and lightly pitted.
Can I replace the 52 loose ball bearings with a caged, tapered bearing (top and bottom.).

I don’t know how to remove them (upper and lower.) Do you know someone or do you have the correct tool or technique?

San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

San Arthur

Help removing bearings.

Post by San Arthur »

Notice the black perimeter edge. This is the edge of the tubing that comprises the part. Just interior from the edge is a shallow groove containing a little grease and road grit. We can clean the edge and groove with lacquer thinner. Then, sand the edge and prime. Interior from the groove is the rubber seal over the bearing. No abrasive grit went into the seal/bearing when sand blasted. Should we remove and replace the seal/bearing? Or, shall we work with what is here and mask off the seal/bearing to paint the black color?

I don’t know how to remove those bearings. Online a special tool was mentioned. Do you have a tool or know how to get the bearings out?

malmac

Barrington Book

Post by malmac »

Mr Barrington uses a run of weld inside the race which shrinks the race and makes it easy to remove - obviously the bearing has to be replaced.

I have used the technique myself on previous bikes and it works fine.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Daves79x

Tools

Post by Daves79x »

The welding trick works fine, you can also cut through the race with a Dremmel. Looks like you have a ding in the head pipe. Might want to try to tap (or whack) that true before removing the race. And you do need to replace the stock head bearings with tapered. Don't go to all the trouble you are and not do that.

Cycle Works makes a tool to remove the races in the swingarm. You need to do that to to inspect everything and maybe replace them.

Mask off the steering damper rubbing surface on the bottom of the steering stem. Won't work very well painted.

Dave
Dave

San Arthur

Thanks

Post by San Arthur »

I will try this latter and will replace the the bearings.

Thanks Mal.

San Arthur

Tool

Post by San Arthur »

Dave I just asked my friends if they have one available before purchasing the extraction tool, which is not impossible expensive.

I will also try to repair the ding with my special hammer and replace the upper and lower bearings.

Thanks for reminding me about the damper friction surface.

Arthur

Can

Don't need anytool I think.

Post by Can »

Don't need anytool I think. You need a jimmy and a hummer. As you know jimmy's edge is bent. You can take it off by hummering with the jimmy.

Airhead77

Use alcohol

Post by Airhead77 »

I've used alcohol to successfully remove and install all rubber items from hand grips and foot pegs. Pegs can be more difficult though, since they are square. Also, their rubber gets very hard after decades of exposure to the elements, so it will be trickier. After soaking them in hot water, try to force in between some alcohol with a syringe. Then grip the arm to a vice and use a thick leather glove to twist it out (unless you work in construction and you can tighten wheel nuts with your bare hands).
Current: 1977 BMW R75/7
Sold: 1960 BMW R27, 1972 BMW R50/5
Christos @ Brisbane, Australia

San Arthur

Lock

Post by San Arthur »

The lock tumbler is out. Removal was easy - just get a bigger hammer!