If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Deep Oil pan question

Twocams

Deep Oil pan question

Post by Twocams »

Thinking of getting a deep oil pan for my R69S. (aftermarket) Are there any real advantages..or disadvantages? I know more oil could be more cooling.

thanks for some input

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

schrader7032

I've heard (but don't really

Post by schrader7032 »

I've heard (but don't really know for sure) that there's little advantage to cooling, although it will take a bit longer for some oil to circulate which could equate to cooling...but how much cooler is it going to get in a few seconds extra sitting in the sump?

The choices you have to make are 1) use the same amount of oil in the sump resulting in more air volume; 2) fill the oil to the same height on the dipstick, thus getting more oil) or; 3) something in between.

To me the greatest advantage is 1). As those pistons move towards bottom dead center, they push a lot of air which can create extra pressure on seals and can also whip up the oil into a mist which is routed out of the engine. Which the cooling effect being questionable, I'd opt for 3) which gets you a little of both.

Be sure your oil pickup is moved down appropriately, especially if going for 1). Make sure it's tight and won't come loose...if it sucks air, you're in danger of severe engine damage.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Hugh Conway

Deep oil pan pro/con

Post by Hugh Conway »

@Twocams

The purpose of a deeper than standard oil pan is to increase oil capacity and to increase cooling capacity.

Recall that engine oil has 3 purposes: lubricate, cool, and clean the internal engine parts.

A deeper pan should be used with a larger quantity of oil in the engine: This may be useful in long, high speed runs, so that normal oil consumption does not result in destructive depletion of oil quantity.....though that will still happen if you run our of oil!!
In short, one has more reserve capacity.

A deeper pan used with a larger oil quantity will result in cooler oil temperatures. One reason is the increased surface area of the oil pan itself being exposed to outside air flow........a radiator effect similar but in lesser extent to an oil cooler. Another reason is that the oil not actually in circulation is removed from the hotter engine parts (say underside of piston and cylinder walls) for a longer period of time, giving the oil a longer period of cooling time.

As for cleaning, the additional volume of oil further dilutes the impurities caused by wear and combustion.

Pro.....larger oil reserve, additional cooling, better cleaning. Keep in mind that these requirements are adequately provided for in the original design and operating within the original design parameters

On the Con side:
The engine is designed for a particular set of operating parameters, If a deeper pan is used, the oil may be cooled below its optimal operating temperature.

More oil is necessary for oil changes.

In summary, a deeper pan used with increased oil quantity is probably not necessary in normal use. Riding long distances or in very hot climates changes the equation.

And yes, in using a deeper pan, the oil pick-up should be relocated deeper to gain benefit of the change.

Cheers,
Hugh

P.S. A deeper pan used with the original smaller oil quantity would result in lower crankcase pumping pressures, as while air displaced by the pistons remains the same, the crankcase internal volume is effectively increased. This is not so, however, if the
oil quantity is increased to the original level on the dipstick.

Twocams

The pan Im looking at is 2.5L

Post by Twocams »

The pan Im looking at is 2.5L which is 2.64 quarts. The stock pan is 2 quarts so that's just over 1/2 qt. more. Just trying to justify the $200 I will spend for one. May just buy one cause I can.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S

Hugh Conway

Best excuse ever

Post by Hugh Conway »

@Twocams........I like your reasoning!
They do look cool, and that is reason enough. The only harm will perhaps be to your wallet.
I believe 1/2 quart extra will not make a whole lot of difference in the other areas.
On that basis, Go for it!

Cheers,
Hugh

Twocams

OK thats twice today I have

Post by Twocams »

OK thats twice today I have heard about they look, kool factor. I just got a $199.1 (check) mileage reimbursement from VA. For using my POV to go to the VA hospital in Portland, Or. That should cover the cost of my new pan.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S

312Icarus

For my money, I don't thing

Post by 312Icarus »

For my money, I don't thing the extra~1/2 liter is going to make a measurable difference in oil temps. To me it would not be worth the headache.

Icarus

Slash2

Deep Sump

Post by Slash2 »

I had one stuck on my /2 during a rebuild at Betjemann's a few years back. I never liked the look of it and I still don't. It makes oil changes a pain in the butt and while I base this assertion on nothing but logic, I find it difficult to believe the benefit is worth the effort. Some day I'll switch back to the original pan which looks about 100x better IMO.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

Twocams

Now Im hearing pain in the

Post by Twocams »

Now Im hearing pain in the butt to change oil. Not worth the effort. What makes the deeper pan a problem like these? I want one but not with problems attached.

twocams
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S

schrader7032

Do you have a picture of the

Post by schrader7032 »

Do you have a picture of the oil pan you're thinking of buying?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.