If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Need a different style sidestand

miller6997

That looks like a Farley sidestand

Post by miller6997 »

If I'm not mistaken, #4 in Joel's picture is what used to be called a Farley side stand. It's what I have on my R69S. When I bought mine, it was made and sold by Robert Van Farowe, and the number I used to place the order is (or was) 616-896-8469. It's been several years since I communicated with him, but it's worth checking to see if he still offers the stand. With mine, he supplied an engine mount bolt with the extra length that is required to mount the stand. He may be willing to sell that bolt separately. You may also find this stand on the Benchmark site. Vech used to sell them; don't know if he still does.

A word of caution: The Farley stand is very well made and Van Farowe was good to deal with, but when I installed the stand, it left the bike too upright, so that it could be tipped over with only a slight bump or push. Some others have reported the same problem, and Vech verified that it sometimes happens. I heated and bent the stand slightly to give it a better angle. It did not take much. It now works much better and still looks normal on the bike. The heat marred the cad coating, but a little silver paint fixed that.

If you can get it to work for you, the Farley is vastly superior to the bloody ugly Flanders version. I have one of the latter in my junk pile, along with a stainless copy of it that was made and sold by Bluemoonscooter--Danny Vu--on ebay. Besides looking like s---, the original Flanders made a mess of the paint on the swingarm, and Danny's stainless copy broke, leaving the bike lying on the garage floor. I never understood why he bothered to copy such a crappy design.)

Here is an earlier thread on this same topic: http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/6903

Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

312Icarus

Wrapping the clamp on the

Post by 312Icarus »

Wrapping the clamp on the Flanders in industrial rubber saves the paint. For the-in on the swing arm, cover it with a bit of fuel hose to save the paint.

Icarus

Twocams

Just bought this chrome side

Post by Twocams »

Just bought this chrome side stand for $40. There are no markings or anything to tell what brand. It has a heavy spring inside with a metal "plunger" that locks the side stand into place. The plunger locks into place when it is pushed into the groves by the spring.
I think I can use it on my R69 as far as I can tell, with the right mounting hardware. Anyone know what brand this might be?

twocams
Attachments
new_side_stand_002.jpg
new_side_stand_002.jpg (318.12 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
new_side_stand_001.jpg
new_side_stand_001.jpg (196.82 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

312Icarus

1,2,3 are Flanders I

Post by 312Icarus »

1,2,3 are Flanders I believe.

Icarus

Meerkat

You're too young to wind down

Post by Meerkat »

At 70 years ole, It is time for me to start cleaning out the shop of stuff I know I will never use..
Joel
Since I was that age I've bought the 4 bikes I have now and another two in between. Today's junk might be tomorrows treasure.
Don't give up while you are still able to keep going! :D
I love the old single cylinder series BMW's and my R65LS.