If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

"Vintage" Helmet for safety?

Darryl.Richman

Up until the late 1990s, I

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Up until the late 1990s, I only rode modern bikes, and I had modern gear to go with it. Washington state mandated helmets and, with the Seattle weather, it wasn't really a bother to wear full gear; but even when I lived in California before that, and before CA had a helmet law, I always wore a modern, full face helmet. It just felt more comfortable to me, not to get hit in the face by bugs and gravel.

Now, I feel completely naked even just doing a quick test ride after a service, in front of my house. And, as you may have seen, even when I was riding my 1928 R52 twice on the Cannonball, I always wore modern gear. I have an old bomber-style leather jacket, but it's just not comfortable most of the time, either too hot or too cold, and is useless in the rain.

I won't tell you what to wear, but for me, I just don't feel right without the right gear. I love riding too much, and want to be able to do it as far into the future as I can, so it's worth it to me to take good precautions. It's why I have and use ear plugs, too.
Attachments
140913-mlus-162309-michael_lichter-20140913.jpg
140913-mlus-162309-michael_lichter-20140913.jpg (96.92 KiB) Viewed 838 times
--Darryl Richman

capebretonmarkbmw

I think period

Post by capebretonmarkbmw »

I think period helmets and goggles are the ticket. I did see someone mention DOT certified , that doesn't really hold water regarding safety,but The Davida Classic Jet helmet is great for what it is! Comes down to your own comfort level in the end .As to being cool the bike is a strong suit going for you . Mark