If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Final touches on rebuilding of R50/2

Darryl.Richman

Final touches on rebuilding of R50/2

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Well, she started with one kick after a few issues were resolved. I have increased my patience threshold immensely with this project. If there was a possibility of something wrong, this one was a poster child for it. Chewed up oil gear, pistons worn, broken main bearing cage, u joint shot, etc. etc. I imagine it is this way with most and maybe worse since rust was not an issue.
I am contemplating a passenger saddle for the rear fender and am wondering the proper way to mount without messing the paint up. Any clever washers, pads or bolting techniques so that if my wife decides not to take my offer to ride I can take it off and not cry at the not so perfect fender? Also my kill wire is not working and short of taking the circuit board off again is there a way to wire that little wire to 2 that feeds the kill switch? One more thing, is there a better gas cap gasket available than that damn cork? Cracks in no time!
--Darryl Richman

jrapose

I always rub silicone grease

Post by jrapose »

I always rub silicone grease into that cork gasket to prevent it from falling apart...the cork gets dry and cracks...the silicone grease makes it very plyable and seems to last quite awhile...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

schrader7032

A bit of a repeat on this

Post by schrader7032 »

A bit of a repeat on this post...see here for my thoughts:

http://vintagebmw.org/v7/node/13339
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.