If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Electronic Regulator

SimonF

Electronic Regulator

Post by SimonF »

Hi everyone

I've seen it frequently mentioned that a electronic regulator can significantly help the generators on these old bikes perform reliably. However I've had trouble finding any article or thread discussing the fitment or even which regulator to fit/order?

Is there any such article? I'm looking at fitting this to a 1965 R60/2 engine.

Also on the the topic of sorting electrics, I was looking for LED options and cam across these Headlight LEDs. Has anyone tried them?

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php

jrapose

Motorrad Eletrik

Post by jrapose »

Check with Rick at Motorad Eletrik ... he has all sorts of LED bulbs for the /2 bikes as well as electronic regulators...he knows what he is doing and is first class to do business with...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

SimonF

Thanks for the vendor

Post by SimonF »

Thanks for the vendor suggestion Joel.

Is there any threads or articles on the forum dealing with this subject?

johnpst

ELECTRONIC VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Post by johnpst »

Aloha SimonF,

Just to keep this alive, I've run into the same issue. I've purchased two to test recently but, my cylinders and heads are with Scottie Sharpe for a little cleanup so I can't test them in the bike at the moment.

Disclaimer. Before installing any non-OEM device on your electrical system, especially a regulator, be darn sure you understand what your doing and how to do it. There are two major hazards with miswiring. Boiling the battery (if installed) out which is relatively cheap, and toasting the coils on the dynamo, not so cheap.

What I can comment on for the moment is build quality of the two I've purchased. Please, do not misunderstand my comments as to how it affects operation or the quality of the circuit. They are visible observations only. I cannot test them, yet. If I can get them on a test bench, I will.

-First, is the MTS, a product of MEGA. See the attached photos for data.

It's build quality is home shop style. An aluminum plate cut and drilled and bent on a box and pan brake (I presume). Electrical ground lug is riveted. The plastic sheeting that I assume was protecting the aluminum when new was left on and is still under the head of the rivet. Now, the lug itself is in contact with the aluminum. I have tested and it makes good contact but, it has been my experience after 40 years as a power plant engineer, this will eventually be that little issue that causes a problem. I will remove the rivet, clean the plastic off and either re-rivet or screw it on. The writing on the cover denotes which terminals to hook up. There are no instructions included so, you will have to understand how to cut and terminate the field conductors.

Remove the plastic cover reveals more simple, home shop style hand assembly. See the attached photos. In the upper right hand corner of the circuit board there is a rheostat which I will, until proven otherwise, assume to be a voltage adjustment.

There is no way to mount this regulator under the generator/mag cover. It's too big to fit inside and will not fit up to the field mounted plate. What does this mean? You have to run new conductors from the field to it and make a mounting plate somewhere else (under the tank is popular) and insure you have a proper ground/earth.

More on the MTS later when I get some data.

TYP BMW, shipped from Germany.

here's the specs.
"Properties:
Controller is designed for magneto operation and can also operate without a battery!
Adjusts the pitch of the mechanical governor
Adjustable charging voltage (set to 7,2 V)
Battery charging at low speed
Protect the alternator against overload
temperature-controlled
Scope of supply:

electronic alternator regulator
Mounting material
Circuit diagram with installation instructions"

Observation. It's much smaller than the MTS unit. It will fit under the timing cover of the R50 and has screw holes and screws to mount on the existing mounting plate. The unit comes with instructions. They were translated from German I believe since that's the country of origin. The instructions included state that the regulator is adjusted to 7.2vDC from the factory and is adjustable. I will report what the range is once I get the engine running. The circuit board is encased in epoxy and the terminals are screw type.

So, as you see in the photos, I have installed the the TYP BMW from Germany.

Well, that's all for now. I'll get back to you, probably in June, with my impressions and data.

Thanks all,
John
Attachments
img_4846.jpg
img_4846.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4845.jpg
img_4845.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4844.jpg
img_4844.jpg (3.77 MiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4843.jpg
img_4843.jpg (787 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4840.jpg
img_4840.jpg (971.43 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4833.jpg
img_4833.jpg (777.44 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4832.jpg
img_4832.jpg (716.32 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4831.jpg
img_4831.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 2602 times
img_4830.jpg
img_4830.jpg (567.32 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
John
55 - R50, 06-R1200RT, 74 Ducati 750GT, 57 - R69, 78 - R100S

San Arthur

I have one.

Post by San Arthur »

http://www.vintagebmw.org/v7/node/9287

SimonF I installed one a few years back with Kurt's help. It works perfectly.
What do you need to know?
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

capebretonmarkbmw

Seems they dont ship

Post by capebretonmarkbmw »

Seems they dont ship to Canada ,what our money isn't good enough. I would really like to buy the TYP BMW from Germany regulator anyone have any ideas for me ? Mark

Twocams

Mark, I just got one a week

Post by Twocams »

Mark, I just got one a week ago. Not installed yet. Im going to use mine. Place I got mine was $49.95 USD + $11.27 shipping. 61.22 Eur. if you do the footwork I can order you one, ship here, then ship to you. I dont want to loose money, and I dont need to make any. I have pay pal or whatever. Hey just trying to help.

twocams
Attachments
007.jpg
007.jpg (149.33 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

capebretonmarkbmw

Thank you .

Thank you I went on the site through ebay and it seems that they are not showing the 6volt regular for a R9s. Do you have the page to show me ? Mark

Twocams

Whoa

Post by Twocams »

I said, if you do the footwork I would help you. I went to their Oldtimerelektronik site on ebay and didnt see this one. You could email them
in German I assume. See if they will be getting anymore. Or where you buy one.
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

capebretonmarkbmw

Great

Great I can do that . I will keep you posted . I will try on Monday. Thank you again. Mark