If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Replacing woodruff key on output flange - 1957 R60

patsta

Replacing woodruff key on output flange - 1957 R60

Post by patsta »

I am replacing a broken woodruff key on a 1957 R60 output flange. Does anyone have any tips before i undertake this job? Do i need any special tools? Do i need to break open the transmission, or can this job be done from the outside? What parts do i have to remove to create access?

Sorry for very basic questions. This parts broke within the first few days after i bought this bike, so this is my first repair job on the bike.

schrader7032

I don't see anything about

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't see anything about the woodruff key in the Barrington restoration manual...I wish this book had an index for things like this. If this transmission is like the others, I believe you will need to remove the output shaft flange to gain access to the woodruff key area. This requires some special tools...the bolts for this are held on with some very high torque.

I guess I'm not understanding why there's a woodruff key anyway...I thought the whole idea behind the taper fit at the joint between the output shaft and the flange is what kept things together. :?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jrapose

What woodruff key ?

Post by jrapose »

Not sure about a 57, but all the /2 bikes had just a taper on the output shaft.....and it takes a special puller to get that sucker off.... it is really tight on there.... hopefully the taper of the shaft is not ruined...the flange will be for sure if it has been turning on the taper... no easy way to fix it other than pulling the trans out setting it up in a jig and using the puller to get it off.... and a long bar....did I say it was tight ?

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

jrapose

You may not want to do this if your have not any experience

Post by jrapose »

This job is a real pain to do.... this may be a job for a professional to do... I sure would first access a new or excellent condition flange before I tore it apart.... it may take a while to find the flange as plenty of them have been ruined over the years and I don't think they are a part that is being reproduced.... once turned on that taper they are ruined and will never lock on to the taper again....you will HAVE to replace it...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA

patsta

Tools ordered

Post by patsta »

I have now ordered the output flange holder/puller tool and the flange nut socket from CycleWorks. However i am thinking the flange might not be on so tight as it has already been spinning on the shaft.

It seems the older bikes has a 1:5 taper with a woodruff key. Newer bikes has a 1:6 taper without the key.

Seems like the flange itself is available from Ulis in Germany.
I agree, the flange will very likely have to be replaced. My concern is that the taper on the output shaft itself might also be damaged. In that case this turns into much more work. I will certainly not mount back anything that is not in good condition.

Is the taper on the shaft harder than the taper on the flange? (is the shaft case hardened?).

Could grinding paste be used to remove small marks on the taper?

jrapose

woodruff key sheared ?

Post by jrapose »

It really would depend on if that shaft has a key or not.... the later bikes have an interfearance angle of a degree or two that locks the two parts together and that is what is damaged when the flange spins...if it indeed has a key I would very much think if the key sheared the tapers could be cleaned, a new key replaced and I would try running it.... the key should lock it up... if the keyway is sheared then they can be re-cut for an oversize key... grinding an interfearance angle might be something totally different .
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA