If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

My First bike, my first project like this - Found a bad rust hole in my R60/2 frame. I am devastated.

slothy

not sure on hoe much of a

Post by slothy »

not sure on hoe much of a pain in the ass it would be, but they make a "internal frame" coating to help seals the inside of the frame

something like this
http://www.eastwood.com/internal-frame- ... ozzle.html

Slash2

Bye bye Earles

Post by Slash2 »

You just went and sold the best part of the whole darn bike!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

miller6997

What the....?

Post by miller6997 »

You love the rusty frame and sold the Earles fork? Good God! What are you building, a Yugo clone? ;^}
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

pokie

You've been framed!

Post by pokie »

The water got inside and rusted from the inside out. At this point I would be very interested in how the water got in there. Have the frame blasted and see if there are any "filled" holes in the frame. I think the frame is probably quite savable but it will take some work. I have a /2 frame that someone built a chopper out of, they cut off anything that seemed like it wasn't going to be used. They also drilled a bunch of holes in the frame to run wiring through, maybe that's what was done to your frame.

I too like the tele forks on the /2 frame. Are you thinking of doing US forks or /5 forks? The /5 forks have many components that are the same, the lower yoke is the same except the stem is longer. Will you keep a /2 wheel up front or are you going to a /5 wheel (the /5 wheel has a much better brake)?

Whoever owned that before you obviously liked to bodge things, welding the Flanders side stand to the frame is just silly. He must have liked kick starting the bike while it was on the side stand, that's a sure fire way to bend the side stand stop. I would guess out of frustration, welded the stand to the frame figuring his troubles were over, then likely bent the stand itself!

jrapose

There are several frame shops

Post by jrapose »

There are several frame shops here in California (and elsewhere I am sure) that could easily cut, splice and return your frame to good condition for much less than a replacement frame... I sure would check with them before I gave up... it would be interesting to find out how that water got into the frame to start with... can you see if that rust is just in that one spot....barrow a bore scope so you can see inside.... they are pretty common these days... even plumbers use them..and lots of mechanics ...it's a fun tool....Harbor Freight sells them..

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

PaulieB

the stand is definitely bent!

Post by PaulieB »

the stand is definitely bent! I am going to cut the thing off either way, but yeah it was kind of dumb of the guy to put it on there.

I was also pretty interested in how water got in there in the first place, that's a question I don't yet have an answer for. I want to have the guys at the frame shop I am going to head to this weekend peer into the frame with a borescope and hopefully tell me the extent of the damage. I might even ask that they cut a small section of the otherside of the frame to check it out as well, just to calm my nerves if I do have them do the repair.

I am going to go with an /6 fork with single disc! But I am going to have the hub from the 19'' R90/6 front wheel laced to the 18" rim from the /2 wheel. I like the both wheels are the same size look. I know a lot of the guys don't like the custom /2's but I want it to mirror this bike by ER a bit.

1967 R60/2

tonyhutchinson

(No subject)

Post by tonyhutchinson »

:''(
Tony

PaulieB

lol I'm sorry! The bike I

Post by PaulieB »

lol I'm sorry! The bike I have didn't have matching numbers either way. Also I won't be altering the frame at all other than to repair this rust problem! So hopefully in 50 years someone can use it to do an authentic restore.
1967 R60/2

tonyhutchinson

Its your bike so its your

Post by tonyhutchinson »

Its your bike so its your choice I guess, good luck and enjoy.

regards Tony
Tony

schrader7032

Any chance the numbers for

Post by schrader7032 »

Any chance the numbers for the frame/engine you have are on this list:

http://bmwvmca.org/joomla/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=42

That would be pretty neat if a bike could be brought back together. If you end up with an orphan frame/engine and want to include it on this list, let me know...I can add it.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.