If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Pinion "Stiff" When Rotating By Hand

johnstas617

Pinion "Stiff" When Rotating By Hand

Post by johnstas617 »

Hi
I just finished restoring the rear wheel hub with new bearings gaskets etc.
When I rotate the shaft pinion by hand I turns of course but It needs some effort to do so. Like after few turns my fingers start to hurt.
Is it normal or should things rotate fast and easy even by hand?
Thanks
Attachments
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (489.87 KiB) Viewed 1828 times

johnstas617

I guess no one knows the answer..

Post by johnstas617 »

or any one that came across this thing before?
:(

Ian R11

I haven't got the Barrington

Post by Ian R11 »

I haven't got the Barrington book to hand to tell you exactly what to do, but if you have a copy it tells you how to sort this. From memory the bearing is pressed back from the other side after assembly.

VintageSalesandRestorations

Final Drive

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Once it is completely assembled, you can make sure the 6207 bearing in the outer cover is seated fully in the cover by warming the cover up, and tapping the splined drive inward with a plastic mallet. That should help - but with the fresh seal friction, etc... it is usually not a free spinning situation - it will have some difficulty turning.

Jeff

johnstas617

Thanks a lot :)

Post by johnstas617 »

That will keep me busy for the weekend .

johnstas617

By the way

Post by johnstas617 »

i just thought about it : shouldn't the backlash of the pinion and the crown gear give me an indication of how "deep" the 6207 Is?

VintageSalesandRestorations

Final Drive

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Hi,

The condition I am describing is that the 6207 is not fully seated in the cover. If that is the case, the cover will be under stress, as will the 6207, having the outer race being pushed down hard by the cover. If you warm up the cover 180F or so - then tap the gear in that direction, it should seat and take the side tension out of the bearing.

Jeff

jrapose

Years ago, I tried to rebuild

Post by jrapose »

Years ago, I tried to rebuild a differential (prior to the Barrington bookl) I bought all the tools and still made a mess of it.. I had no idea how to seat 6207 and the fit was tight... of course it came back and I learned an embarrassing lesson...I really felt bad and never tried one again.... I think I still own that ruined differential and think just for fun I will try taking it apart and putting it back again properly... I still don't want to try again with a good differential, ruining good parts hurts more than just money..

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/