If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1962 R69s carburetor installation

DesertAirhead

1962 R69s carburetor installation

Post by DesertAirhead »

Hey, I'm currently installing the carburetors on my 62' BMW R69s, I haven't been able to find a parts diagram or instructions for the airtube and rubber seals and metal ring. I was wondering if anybody has a cut away diagram/ picture of how the tubes connect to carburetor and engine block air filter? Thanks for help both current and past.
1962 R69S

schrader7032

It's fairly simple, at least

Post by schrader7032 »

It's fairly simple, at least once you get through it. This is the parts diagram...you can see a set of rubber rings involved:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=13_0826

Here's a couple of pictures from my bike. In the shot of the airbox area, you can see the two orings that are in the opening to the airbox...these essentially stay on the bike when the airtube is fitted. On the other picture, you can see the airtube in place. At the carb end, there is a rubber oring inside the tube which fits over the carb input flange. It also stays in the tube all the time.

The way to get the airtube is a bit of a dance. You want the nuts to be loose that hold the carb to the head...they probably should even be off the studs. That gives you the extra degree of freedom to move the carb around a bit while you fit the airtube, first into the airbox opening and then mate with the flange on the carb. Once everything is on, fit the nuts on the studs and tighten it down.
Attachments
r69sairtube.jpg
r69sairtube.jpg (608.67 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
r69sairboxrings.jpg
r69sairboxrings.jpg (566.9 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

miller6997

I approach it a little differently...

Post by miller6997 »

On my R69S, I don't loosen the nuts on the studs. I just lube the rubber seal inside the air-box end of the tube with WD40 (or spit) and then slide it through the air-box opening far enough that the other end of the tube, the end that mates to the carb, lines up properly. At that point, you can lube the seal on that end and just wiggle the tube into place over the carb. Takes about 30 seconds.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

DesertAirhead

1962 R69s Carburetor Installation

Post by DesertAirhead »

Huge thanks, Appreciate the advice, diagram and pictures.....can't ask for much more.
1962 R69S

jrapose

Use silicone grease

Post by jrapose »

You can use Silicone grease on the rubber parts without harming the rubber and it will make the installation much, much easier..

Also be REAL careful when you tighten the nuts on the flange that you do not distort the carburator ears...they bend easily...and cause air leaks... replace the fiber insulators to prevent this...

This is one of the reasons we treasure Vech ...... he has everything you need and always can and will help you... that man knows exactaly what it takes to do the job and will be there when you need him....

Joel Rapose
1966 R69S
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/