If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Fuel filter

Loncar

Fuel filter

Post by Loncar »

Does any of you mounted a fuel filter?
A friend of mine recommended me to mount one on my r26. But it originally didn't have one.

Sorry for all my q, but I'm still newbie.
How important is accuracy when mixing led-substitute with gasoline (I use octane 95 and 5ml led-substitute pr. 5 l gasoline).

How do you mix?

Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

tbounds02

Use inline filter

Post by tbounds02 »

Beach sells a good bronze cone shape inline filter that works good and cheap
I don't use lead subsitute

Loncar

Lead substitute

Post by Loncar »

You don't??
I thought it was absolute crucial.
What octane do you use, and did you had to modify anything to use unleaded fuel.?

Other that don't use led substitute?

Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

jrapose

Modern fuels have a lead substitute already

Post by jrapose »

Years ago when they took the lead out, everyone shook.... and was worried about valve seat erosion....but it did not happen... I worked in an engine rebuild shop and very few, very, very few heads had problems... when they removed the lead they used something else...and it seemed to be just fine.... so no... I don't use any sort of additive...just don't need it.

Fuel, now that is another problem that we have with all the ethanol blends....bah ! sure eats rubber and causes rust... I always buy the highest fuel grade that I can.... probably 98 Octane... My R89S just hates regular fuel... and while I can run it here in the mountains (high altitude) it pings like krazy at sea level... (leaner mixture at sea level) So not to burn any more pistons I always just use Premimum.

With the loss of lead...we no longer have a problem with coke (carbon buildup) It technically was called Dersi.... now when I pull a cylinder head off it is black, but clean...so getting rid of that nasty lead actually was good...

Joel
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

Loncar

Interesting.... So high

Post by Loncar »

Interesting....
So high octane lead free.
Maybe I should try that.mwhat is the worst case scenario ? can I damage the engine?

I also have a Citroen 2cv - and fill it with regular and lead additive - recommended by my 2cv mechanic.
Maybe I should try high octane whithout lead additive also.

Wonder why it's so popular with lead additive here. ?

Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

jrapose

Lead was used as a lubracant

Post by jrapose »

It is outlawed in the USA so we have no choice ....all our fuel is lead-free....

The higher compression the more you need to use high octane... I imagine that a R50/2 or R60/2 would be fine with regular...but the high compression of the R69S demands high octane fuel.

Octane really pertains to the speed of the flame front... High Octane burns at a slower more controlled speed than lower octane...
A ping is really an uncontrolled explosion...
Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

Loncar

Its also outlawed here, but U

Post by Loncar »

Its also outlawed here, but U Can sure buy lead substitute in us?

Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

c8h18

For what its worth I run my

Post by c8h18 »

For what its worth I run my '69 R60/2 on 93 Octane and have even used the Blue AV Fuel 100LL (had no choice at the time) and it was mixed with a half a tank of 93. I want to believe that the octane averaged but I don't think it quite works that way. I checked the plugs the next day and they were fine. I was worried that I could have run it too hot. I have also run with 87 octane and get some ping, so I stick to the higher octane fuels. These are amazingly adaptable machines.

tbounds02

Vech

Post by tbounds02 »

I meant to say Vech at benchmark works handles the fuel filter.
No I don't use lead substitute , and unless you are running the high compression R69S engine you don't really need high octane fuel. any of the low to mid octane fuels would be fine. I usually do run the 91-93 octane in ethanol free if available first choice 2nd lower octane ethanol free and last choice high octane with no more than 10% ethanol. I always add a fuel stabilizer for any of the fuels .