If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Storage of MC

Loncar

Storage of MC

Post by Loncar »

Hi
Here in Denmark I'm soon getting ready to store my bike. Autum is pretty wet and winter is not for driving vintage mc's.

Last year I did nothing before storing the bike, but was told that I should disconnect the battery and empty the fuel. What do you do? Oil should obviously remaine in the engine and gearbox.

Thanx and have a nice Sunday
Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

johnstas617

I would disconnect

Post by johnstas617 »

The battery of course as you said , empty the gas tank as fuel becomes like water after some time, keep it in neutral , and jack it on the center stand.

schrader7032

It's a bit extreme and might

Post by schrader7032 »

It's a bit extreme and might not be needed for only a short period of time, but you could rotate the engine so that the cylinder is at top dead center with both valves closed. This reduces the path for air to get into the cylinder and would help to minimize the rusting on the cylinder wall.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Darryl.Richman

I would take a last ride, get

Post by Darryl.Richman »

I would take a last ride, get the motor fully warmed, for at least half an hour, then, back home, close the petcock until the motor dies. The ride will get all of the water out of the engine case and mufflers, and letting the motor die from fuel starvation will empty out the float bowls in the carburetors. I would keep the battery on a "smart" charger - I do this all the time regardless of how long the bike stands.

You can empty the gas tank, or you can add one of the fuel preservatives to the tank (US brands are Stabil or Sea Foam). In the last couple years I have noticed that Super E10 fuel (10% ethanol) is being sold in Europe. If you leave gas in the tank, make that last fill up with non-ethanol gas, and leave the tank full to the top, so there is as little air space as possible.

--Darryl Richman

Loncar

Got the message

Post by Loncar »

Battery off
Empty carborators
Empty gas tank
On center stand

Makes sense
Thx

Loncar
BMW R26 - 1960

jrapose

Modern Fuel has a service life of 90 days

Post by jrapose »

Today our fuel starts to go bad at 90 days... so removing it would be the best idea.... and running the carbs dry a good one too...

A fully charged battery will freeze at -70 degrees...of course a dead battery will freeze at 32 degrees (water) so I disconnect the battery...just one side... and if I take it out...store it on a block of wood... as it will discharge thru the case into a cement floor..(slowly)

All marine supply stores sell a product called Fogging Oil...you remove the plugs and spray it into the cylinders...it coats the cylinders and no rust can develop...

Joel

Joel Rapose
Powerdynamo Importer USA
http://rapose.biz/

Airhead77

Same here...

Post by Airhead77 »

I have to go through the same process here in Finland as you. This is what I did last year:

Emptied the gas tank and carburetor from gas. I use 98 octane gas, since it's E5. 95 is E10 and I'm afraid to use it.
Removed the battery.
Turned the engine to keep valves closed.

Extra: Change the engine oil before hibernation, not after. If you've changed it recently, then it's ok. I changed mine a week ago and I won't change it again.

If the housing conditions in Denmark are similar to Finland, your buildings and warehouse are warm and dry during winter, so you won't have any rust problem. I usually drop my bike in one of the motorcycle winter parking places around November and pick it up by the end of April.
Current: 1977 BMW R75/7
Sold: 1960 BMW R27, 1972 BMW R50/5
Christos @ Brisbane, Australia

stagewex

Put them to bed but run them if you can

Post by stagewex »

I have found that none of my bikes over the years like being put away for months. So I prep them as if they will go to sleep with the exception of pulling the batteries. I do start them and if possible ride them a little bit no matter how cold it is. They are kept on a Battery Tender (Smart Charger) all year round anyway. And I add the proper amount of Seafoam to a full tank as if they were going to sleep for a long time. Of course as mentioned it is ethanol that is a problem here in USA and it's quick chemical breakdown as well as what it does to anything petroleum based like rubber or plastic-type gasketing and seals.

Last Winter was one of the coldest and snowiest yet there were always days when wanting for a ride, I just took her out. Sometimes for an hour or two, sometimes for 10 minutes. Either is good for the bike.
I ride a 2WD Ural sidecar rig all winter but sometimes ya need to ride on something with 2 wheels.

Attachments
img_3125.jpg
img_3125.jpg (266.31 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
img_3122.jpg
img_3122.jpg (198.89 KiB) Viewed 1894 times
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

Darryl.Richman

Unless you have stainless

Post by Darryl.Richman »

Unless you have stainless mufflers, always run the bike until they are fully hot, otherwise acidic water from combustion will collect there and rust them out quickly.
--Darryl Richman