If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

EMPI Carb Synchronizer(s)

martyn74

I saw a video on U tube a guy

Post by martyn74 »

I saw a video on U tube a guy switching this gauge from one carb to the next with the bike ticking over so I bought one, postage is almost $50 so if you think there expensive in the US you have it good. Do I need to buy another?

808Airhead

Better to have 2. You can

Post by 808Airhead »

Better to have 2. You can watch the slides open simultaneously,as well as the carb synch with light throttle.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

stagewex

I saw that too

Post by stagewex »

I saw a video on U tube a guy switching this gauge from one carb to the next with the bike ticking over so I bought one, postage is almost $50 so if you think there expensive in the US you have it good. Do I need to buy another?

I saw similar, on a VW bug and another on a Porsche. Y'ad think working on a Porsche the mechanic would at least have two (2) of them instead of going back-and-forth.

As mentioned I'm doing a tech session with a friend on Sunday. He likes to do the short-one-side/ear method. If I can get him to use the EMPI's I'll do a youtube video for a /2.
Really surprised there isn't one posted already since there are so many of these bikes still on the road and this tool seems to be one of the more popular ones.
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

stagewex

Air Flow Idle setting on the meter

Post by stagewex »

Loosen the throttle cable adjusters when synching the idle,adjust the engine when warm. You have a small window to adjust before the engine can overheat at idle so work quickly. After the idle synch is done,leave approx. 1mm of freeplay at the cable adjusters and synch the throttle cables,just as you crack the throttle watch the synch tools so you can synch the initial cable adjustment as the carbs just crack open. DO NOT BLIP the throttle with these attached it will BREAK the synch tool! Ask me how I know! Only open the throttle gradually. After the cable synch at
off idle" open the throttle a little more and watch the synch,this will be the "cruise" adjustment,this is more critical to be in synch than the "just off idle",you want the vacuum readings to be similar with the throttle open around 1/5- 1/4 throttle (abuot 9-10 on the synch meters).

For the initial sync what do you use as your best setting for idle air flow using the idle adjustment screw? Just looking for a baseline.
I'm guessing that upon being mildly warmed up it is a low as you can go without stalling?
mike wex/stagewex
1969 BMW r60/2, US Model, 1995 BMW K75, 2006 Yamaha TW200, 2007 Ural Patrol, 1991 Honda XR250L

schrader7032

I've posted this

Post by schrader7032 »

I've posted this before...comes from the Bing manual which is worth having. Initial settings are listed:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/roundel/6 ... ateposted/
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

VintageSalesandRestorations

Carb Sync

Post by VintageSalesandRestorations »

Hi,

The bike should be at operating temp before you try to do this. I will either go for a short ride, or let it idle for a while with a big box fan blowing from the front of the bike.

I'm also not a fan of setting the idle super low.

I make initial idle mixture settings, then sync idle air flow using the meters by adjusting the idle stop screws. Then the off idle settings via the cable adjusters - using the meters again, then half throttle settings. Then lock the jam nuts on the cables down. I feel that the rubber cable adjuster covers can hang up the cables so I don't always use them.

Then I'll go back and fine tune the idle mixture using a shorting rod to shut off one side at a time.

Jeff

BMWR50_Spain

EMPI Carb synch

Post by BMWR50_Spain »

Is there any value of the readings we must obtain in the EMPI for different regimes (for example, at idle for a BMW-R50)?
I know it is about balancing both cylinders, but I understand it can help to confirm that the value of volumen of air is correct.
Perhaps it has already been answered. If so, sorry and thanks for your patience.

schrader7032

I've never paid attention to

Post by schrader7032 »

I've never paid attention to the actual numbers...just that they were balanced.
Kurt in S.A.

ReDevil.1967_R50_2

EMPI Carb sync

Post by ReDevil.1967_R50_2 »

Hey Gentlemen, thank you for all the sound advice concerning the uses of the EMPI. I have never attempted syncing a carb but this will really help. I do have one question, is it really nessesary to have two EMPI units. Most of the youtube videos the techs have only one.
New to the Vintage BMW Motorcycle trade. Looking to network and learn how to keep theses beauties running.
Ike in New London, CT
'67 R50/2

schrader7032

It's something of a hassle to

Post by schrader7032 »

It's something of a hassle to move the gauge from side to side, plus as you move it, you're making a change that might not reflect the actual readings. That said, using two gauges assumes that each gauge reacts EXACTLY as the other, which might be a bit of a stretch.

No harm in trying just one and seeing how it goes. If you think it could be better, buy a second one later on.
Kurt in S.A.