If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Plunger steering lock lug

niall4473

Plunger steering lock lug

Post by niall4473 »

Hi All,
one of my long term projects is the resurrection of a 1953 R67/2, which my Dad bought for its engine around the time my sister was born, in order to put it in my Mums R51/3 sidecar outfit to give a bit more power, most of the rest of the bike was dispersed and I have been collecting parts for the last 12 years or so to rebuild it.
However, the original frame was scrapped in the 1970s after the guy who was using it crashed it head-on into a Post Office van, so I acquired a good straight 1954 R51/3 frame via a friend in Greece, this frame is in remarkably good condition considering the life it must have had, the only problem is that someone has cut the steering lock lug off the headstock, the stub of it is still there, so positionally speaking I know where it went, I just need some dimensions of the lug itself, so if anyone has a plunger twin dismantled, some good photographs of the headstock area square on for scaling purposes, would be very helpful, I'm most interested in the size, depth and position of the hole for the lock, of course.
Thanks in anticipation,
Niall
Oil is always cheaper than metal

Ian R11

Hi Niall Hope this helps,

Post by Ian R11 »

Hi Niall

Hope this helps, measures taken from assembled bike with powder coating on frame. As you can see from the photo’s all the edges are rounded so measures are not easy to get exact and probably not that critical. Although measuring 11.5mm dia I guess the hole would be 12mm dia without coating.

I can’t measure the angle with it all assembled but if you weld the lug on with the yolks in place and the lock fitted it can’t be done wrong.
The gap between the bottom of the lock mount on the top yolk and the top of this lug on mine is 4mm.
Attachments
scan.jpeg
scan.jpeg (225.45 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
img_1998.jpg
img_1998.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
img_1996.jpg
img_1996.jpg (99.02 KiB) Viewed 1230 times
img_1994.jpg
img_1994.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Matteo

I would suggest getting a

Post by Matteo »

I would suggest getting a lock and installing it to the upper triple. It will give a practical measure for the depth.

niall4473

Hi Guys, Thanks for both your

Post by niall4473 »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for both your replies, yes Matteo, it would not be difficult to make something up to do the job, but I was hoping top produce something that resembled the original, so thanks Ian for going to the trouble to post the pics and produce the sketch, I'm sure, with the hope of those, that I can reinstate the steering lock in a reasonably authentic looking way. I don't want it looking like a BMW-ised Chang.
I can't imagine that any firm other than BMW, with the possible exception of Veloce Ltd, would have made it with a blind hole, then added a small drain hole, some would have just through-drilled it, Triumph would have left it off altogether!
Thanks again
Oil is always cheaper than metal