If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Merciless Flogging

bbolesaz

Merciless Flogging

Post by bbolesaz »

Very much enjoying riding my recently restored '64 R60/2. During the resto, we pretty much made the motor like new.

Arizona is a big wide open state with lots of mountains. This bike is not the last one to the ride destination, regardless of what other more modern hardware is along for the ride. The cornering is way better than a /7 and it will run 75-80 MPH and climb hills like something with way more than 30HP.

But, I'm worried, because the thottle is either 7/8's or WOT nearly all of the time.

Is it OK to flog these motors or am I going down a fast road to engine rebuild (again).

ScottA

corners better than a /7?

Post by ScottA »

not intending to imply the /2 is any slouch but maybe the /7 needs suspension work, or the rider isn't trying?

just curious, how many miles on the engine since rebuild.

My understanding is BMWs are designed to be capable of running all day long at redline.
On the other hand I haven't seen that rpm specified as regards the /2.
'61 R27, '63 R60/2 etc.

schrader7032

How many miles on the

Post by schrader7032 »

How many miles on the rebuild? I usually don't try to attain close to normal speeds/RPM until I've done at least 500 miles and then I only begin to creep towards normal use.

Have you done any carb adjustments for altitude? You might not be getting the most out of the fuel otherwise.

But in general, since the R60/2 should be able to pretty near the "ton", and you're at 80 mph, maybe 7/8 throttle is about right?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

bbolesaz

Did about 300 miles break in

Post by bbolesaz »

Did about 300 miles break in before really pushing it.

As for the handling, I'm just damn impressed that a 50 year old frame and vintage style tires corner so nicely. It takes a bit of a push to enter a corner, but once there, it tracks wonderfully. And that Earles fork does it's job also, you can brake deep into the corner and not upset the balance of the chassis. The /7 isn't bad, but if something upsets its cornering line, it will often complain by getting a case of gummy cow.

niall4473

Handling

Post by niall4473 »

Did about 300 miles break in before really pushing it.

As for the handling, I'm just damn impressed that a 50 year old frame and vintage style tires corner so nicely. It takes a bit of a push to enter a corner, but once there, it tracks wonderfully. And that Earles fork does it's job also, you can brake deep into the corner and not upset the balance of the chassis. The /7 isn't bad, but if something upsets its cornering line, it will often complain by getting a case of gummy cow.

It goes to show how far BMW motorcycle design lost its way, since the Earles-Fork BMW was considered to be a poor handler in its day, and indeed it is, when compared to contemporary British machines like the Featherbed framed Nortons, Gold Star BSAs, Velocettes etc, and others such as the Guzzi Falcone.
It was criticism of the reluctant cornering which led to the introduction of the US models, although they never appeared here, and when the /5s came out they were renowned for poor steering and gained a reputation for tank slappers that BMW had to work hard to get rid of.

For the record 300 miles is not enough running-in IMHO, more like 1500, and you will feel when the motor starts to loosen up. In a hot climate more skirt/bore clearance may be required than would be in Western Europe.
Oil is always cheaper than metal